Weaponized Part 2

Scott, Stiles and I were standing behind Natalie, watching big guys in bright yellow hazmat suits stomp down the hallway intimidatingly. My forehead was covered in a damp sweat that had me freezing and burning up at the same time. I subtly wiped it away. I was fine.

They covered the window of the largest room with a plastic tarp, obstructing our view of within while they set up a quarantine.

Scott spoke to Natalie and Sydney, while Stiles, Malia, Kira and I huddled in a circle. I sat on a desk just trying not to vomit everywhere and hoping I looked convincing as a healthy person. Because I was fine.

"Bet they're thinking smallpox," Stiles said.

"Not likely," the Proctor said, intruding in our conversation. "Smallpox was eradicated worldwide in 1979. We've only managed to completely eradicate two viruses in history. The other was Rinderpest. It killed cows." I didn't know what it was, but something about that man weirded me out. Maybe it was clinical look in his eyes while everyone else's was filled with fear.

"So we should be comforted by that?" I asked.

"Unless it's something worse." He smiled, and maybe it was just the circumstance, but it seemed kind of evil.

"Okay..." I muttered, turning my back to him again. Stiles and I glanced at each other, but his eyes caught on the sweat on my forehead. He narrowed his eyes suspiciously at me, and I quickly wiped my sleeve over it. "I'm fine. It's just a little toasty in here." He didn't look like he believed me, but thankfully, Malia started talking.

"Whatever it is, they're taking it pretty seriously. There's a lot of trucks and cars out there." She listened again. "Your dad's with them."

Stiles paused in the midst of scratching his stomach. "I should probably call him." He got up and started looking through the bags of phones for his number.

"Don't bother," Proctor said, making Stiles stop to look at him. "They would've shut off any access to all outside communication by now. No cell service, no Wi-Fi. No one starting a panic." He smiled again, and this time, I knew it looked evil. "Looks like we're all just going to have to wait here and see what happens." Why did he look to gleeful about that fact? He licked his finger then proceeded to flip through his magazine.

Stiles grabbed his phone anyway and came back to the group.

"I don't like him," I whispered, glancing over my shoulder at Proctor.

"Y/N, put away the claws," Stiles said in a hushed tone, looking around. I was confused even as I stared at my claws, which were out even though I knew I hadn't done it. I immediately clenched my fist, digging my claws in my skin and hiding them. The blood dripped down my sleeve as I smiled at all of them giving me odd looks.

"Just harder to control my temper after the whole lion thing," I lied, opening my hand again to reveal my clawlessness. They seemed to accept that answer and I stared at my hand in my lap while they talked. What was happening to me?

Scott hadn't come back yet, and Kira and Malia were in line. Stiles and I were still sitting in the classroom. He'd held me behind because he needed to 'talk', whatever that meant. Once Kira and Malia were out, Stiles dug in his jacket pocket, pulling out a piece of paper. He handed it to me, and I unfolded it.

It was a third of the dead pool. Parrish's name was on it so I knew he was the second third. I was about to ask why he was showing me this when my eyes locked on a name. Malia Hale.

I looked up at Stiles and he was bouncing his knee and rubbing his lip with anxiety.

"They got her name wrong on the list?" I asked, surprised.