Shape Shifted Part 4

The hinges creaked as Scott lifted the lid. The wave of panic hit me from inside making me feel like I wanted to scream, curl up into a ball and weep for 3 hours. There were scratch marks on almost every inch of the inside walls, most with dried blood on them. The marks were deeper on the inside of the lid. There were hundreds of the marks, and it was terrifying to imagine just how many times Isaac had been locked in here. It was no wonder he was the way he was. I could've never imagined it was this bad. I quickly wiped away a tear that had fallen onto my cheek. I was so angry and sad that I didn't know how to deal with it. How could a parent do this?

"This is why he said yes to you," I whispered. I understood why he did, and I didn't blame him for it. I would've done the same thing. Hell, I probably would have killed my dad if he was doing this to me. If Isaac didn't do it, then I knew this had been going on for a long time because it meant he was used to it.

"Everyone wants power," Derek replied.

"If we help you, then you have to stop," Scott bargained. "You can't just go around turning people into werewolves."

"I can if they're willing."

"But you're cheating! You're offering it to those who are desperate," I said.

"It's not cheating. I'm helping them."

"Helping? Did you tell Isaac about everything? The Argents?" Scott blamed.

"Yes, and he still asked."

"Then he's an idiot," Scott blurted.

"Hey, now," I mumbled. Idiot was going a bit far...

"And you're the idiot dating Argent's daughter," Derek accused pointedly. Scott stared at him. "Yeah. I know your little secret. And if I know, how long do you think it's gunna take for them to find out? You saw what happens to an omega."

An image of Scott's story about watching an omega get cut in half by Gerard's sword made me cringe.

Derek put a hand on his shoulder. "With me, you learn how to use all of your senses." I didn't think it was the right time to point out that I was actually the one who helped Scott with his senses this time. "With me, you learn control." Derek lifted Scott's hand, which was already beginning to sprout claws. "Even on a full moon."

I was worried because Scott seemed to be contemplating it. I had no qualms against Derek, but Scott didn't need him. He had me and Stiles. I wasn't part of Scott's 'pack' because I wasn't a pack animal, but Stiles was. And Allison, and Lydia, and (ick) Jackson. I hoped that would be enough for him. A pack and a best friend.

Scott ripped his hand from Derek's grasp. "If I'm with you, I lose her."

Derek frowned and closed the chest. "You're gunna lose her anyway. You know that." Derek started to walk back up to the house.

"Wait," Scott said, making Derek stop and turn to look at him. "I'm not part of your pack. But I want him out." Scott looked down at the closed ice box. "He's my responsibility, too."

"Why? Because he's one of us?" Derek asked as if helping someone simply because they were another Were was a ludicrous idea.

"Because he's innocent," Scott said seriously.

Derek was gone upstairs, so it was just Scott and me in the basement. He was beginning to turn, and he told me to leave. I didn't want to, but honestly Scott changing left my heart doing little backflips of terror since, you know... I died last time. So I frowned, but didn't argue as I left the house.