Battlefield Part 3

I sat in the stands by myself as Scott and Stiles sat on the bench. Why was Scott on the bench? I ran down behind Scott and Stiles, despite Coach's unhappy glance.

"What is going on? Why aren't you playing?" I asked.

"Gerard benched me. I think he has something planned," Scott whispered. I swallowed thickly, hoping whatever it was didn't involve bloodshed. Specifically, my bloodshed. Again.

I sat down right behind them, deciding I wanted to be close if something were to happen. My knee bounced quickly with nervousness. Sheriff was sitting a few feet over with Melissa. They were both there which could only mean things were slowly going back to normal.

Coach leaned between Scott and Stiles, so I stood up, walking to his side, prying into the conversation.

He was talking to Stiles. "Now put on your helmet and get your ass out there. You're in for Greenberg."

"Seriously?" I asked excitedly. Coach gave me an odd look.

"What? What happened to Greenberg?" Stiles said.

"Greenberg sucks. You suck slightly less," Coach said, balancing his hands in Stiles' favor.

"I'm playing? On the field? With the team?" Stiles asked, his face blank. Coach closed his eyes like he was mentally asking himself why the hell he chose to be a coach while I grinned at Stiles and Scott.

"Unless you'd rather play with yourself," Coach replied.

Without thinking, Stiles said, "I already did that today, twice."

"Get the hell out there!" Coach grumbled while Scott and I laughed. Stiles grabbed his helmet, running onto the field dorkily.

I heard Sheriff yell triumphantly, "My son is on the field!" I laughed, watching him stand with one fist raised and shaking. His face had a smile on it that made me think things weren't as bad between them as Stiles thought. He looked around at the people staring and quickly sat back down.

I couldn't help myself from grinning as they set up for the play.

And it dropped when I heard Gerard start talking. "Scott. Can you hear me?" I leaned back so I was slightly hidden by the people around me. Did he know I wasn't dead? "Ahh, you can. Good. Then listen closely because the game is about to get interesting."

My eyes immediately jumped to Stiles. He was in danger.

I couldn't even enjoy watching him play as the first quarter timer hit 12 minutes. "Let's put a real clock on this game, Scott. I'll give you until the last 30 seconds. When the scoreboard clock begins counting down from 30, if you haven't gotten me Derek, then Jackson is gunna kill someone. So, tell me, Scott. Who's gunna die tonight? Should it be your mother, who so bravely came out to support you? Or the Sheriff, your best friend's father? Or how about the pretty little redhead who managed to survive the bite of an alpha?"

Lydia smiled as she sat down next to Melissa.

"Or Y/N, who's running out of lives?" My eyes snapped to Gerard, who smiled at me menacingly. So, it had been a test. What does he know about me? "That's right, Y/N. I know. And you're going to help Scott. Or else I'll make sure Stiles is Jackson's target."

I scowled at the ground, full of rage. I wanted to tear him apart.

"It's up to you two, but you are going to help me take Derek down. Because if you don't... I'll have Jackson rip someone's head off right in the middle of the field and drench everyone you love and care about in blood," Gerard promised. Scott looked over his shoulder at me to see that I was close to tears because I was so angry. He was threatening Stiles, he was threatening my people, and we had to figure out a way to help everyone.