Illuminated Part 4

I sat next to Stiles, handing him a beer as he pulled out his keys. He popped open the caps with his bottle opener and I took a swig.

"Wait, Stiles, your key has phosphors," I said, nearly spitting out my beer in order to do so. He looked at it as it glowed. I looked up at him and he down at me, then I pressed my lips to his. He seemed surprised, but kissed me back anyways. Our tongues mingled as I placed my hand on his cheek. As I leaned back a little, he leaned with me, so he was halfway twisted to kiss me, his body nearly atop mine.

He hummed like he was upset with himself and pulled away a little. "What are phosphors?"

"Luminescent substances. It's in your teeth, fingernails, uh... Laundry detergent. Also, in this," I swiped my thumb across his bottom lip where orange paint had transferred. His tongue darted out twice as he licked his lip and I giggled, pushing my face into his neck to suck on it gently. "It reacts to the UV light. That's why it glows."

Stiles moaned and moved away so he could smash his lips to mine again. His tongue was deep in my mouth when he stopped moving, his eyes darting open. I pulled back and sighed.

"What now?"

"How would I get phosphors on my key?" he asked.

"Stiles. We're supposed to be having fun. Can we ju-... Oh..." I trailed off, my expression going blank.

"Oh? 'Oh' what? What 'oh', why are you saying 'oh'?" he stumbled.

"Um... Chemicals," I said. His eyes stared at the key still in his hand.

"We should probably-."

"Yeah, let's go," I replied. We both jumped up, shoving through the crowd to get to the door. We got to the school as fast as we could and raced up to the chemistry room. I watched as Stiles slowly slide the key into the chemical lockup door. He looked back at me nervously and I gulped, nodding at him to tell him to do it.

He sighed and the key turned, clicking the lock open. He let the keys dangle from the lock as he opened the door a crack. His mouth was set in a thin line of fear. What did this mean?

I sighed, blinking away only to have my sights land on the numbers still written on the board. I looked at Stiles and shook my head. No wonder it looked so familiar, but just to check...

"Stiles. The board. It looks like your handwriting, doesn't it?" I asked. He looked at the board then stepped over to it. He picked up the piece of chalk and began to write out the numbers next to the original set. Every number he wrote looked the same.

"What does it mean?" I asked, hoping he'd give me an alternate answer to the one I was thinking.

"It means I wrote the message," he whispered.

"You couldn't have," I replied.

Stiles spun around, his face set in rage. "It's my hand writing, Y/N! The key is on my key chain! What the hell else do you think it means?!" I backed up against a desk, not because he was getting any closer, but because the volume with which he yelled at me made me coil up inside, tears springing to my eyes.

"I think I'm gunna go home," I mumbled. There were few things I hated more than being snapped at by Stiles. By anyone, really, but Stiles' anger gave me a special kind of hurt.

Stiles sighed and tried to walk around the desk to meet me. "Baby, I'm so-."

"It's fine. I-I'll see you, um, tomorrow or something." I started to walk to the door, but he grabbed my wrist.

"Stop, just let me drive you home at least."

"No. I'll walk," I whispered. I pulled my hand free from him and left the room. The instant I did, I started running, needing the release. I didn't stop running until I got home, and then, not until I closed the door to my room firmly behind me. I sighed, leaning my forehead against the door. I reached over to flick on the lights, but they flickered before going out.

Confused, I flipped the switch a few times, but the light stayed off. I thought maybe the bulb was burnt out, so I turned to go light my lamp. The second I did and the light filled the room, I saw I was surrounded by five figures in black coats. They had black masks on that looked like they were made of obsidian, and each mask had an intimidating scowl etched into it. They each carried long swords in their hands, and it seemed like a black mist was constantly around each figure.

The only bit of color came from their eyes, and it was a yellowish light, almost exactly like a firefly.

Before I even knew what was happening, one grabbed the side of my head with a gloved hand as I screamed. The second I looked into its eyes, I felt like I was being drained and fell silent. I was frozen stiff and couldn't look away from its eyes. It wasn't that I was paralyzed with fear, it was more like some kind of power they had over me that made me unable to move.

As if it were ten miles away, I heard my parents pounding on the door that I knew I hadn't locked.

Finally, it slipped its finger down the back of my ear and they all vanished as I fell to the floor. I was sweating and cold when my parents finally burst through the door. My mom was crying as she held my shaking body against her. What the hell just happened to me?