A Promise to the Dead Part 1

Lydia, Kira, Malia, and I walked down the halls to our class, hoping now was when we put the past in the past. The last few weeks had been uneventful, and slowly we were getting back to our normal lives. Kira and Scott even had a date tonight. This was all very good.

"How are things with Stiles?" Lydia asked conversationally. I wasn't sure if I wanted to know the answer. They'd been together every day since the night they shut down the Benefactor, and it was almost painful to think about what they might've been doing during that time.

My mind was also distracted by the conversation between Scott and Melissa that I shouldn't have heard last night. Scott came home late, and Melissa found the bag of money still hidden under his bed. Of course, she wasn't happy once she found out it was Derek's money. But still, she'd asked Scott why he hadn't given it back yet. Scott admitted that it was because of her, because they'd been struggling so much.

I knew I shouldn't place the blame on myself, but overhearing that did send guilt riddling through my mind. He explained each stack of money to her and its possibilities, so she handed him a stack covered in dried blood.

"What about this one?" Melissa asked. Scott stared at it, understanding his only choice was to return the money. Even still, I wished there was something more I could do besides be that extra burden that might tip the scales of Melissa's wallet. I went to Liam's again after overhearing the conversation. Part of it was for me, but mostly for him. He was still getting nightmares, still scared of the berserkers. I was pretty sure he'd resorted to sleeping with a light on. I hated that there seemed like nothing I could do to help.

I forced the thoughts from my mind for now, refocusing back on Malia's answer.

"They're good," Malia replied, but there was a lilt in her voice indicating the opposite. I perked up to listen, hoping someone else had caught on to that. I could always count on Lydia to pick up on relationship hints.

"But?" Lydia asked as we sat down in our seats. Coach was sitting at his desk, not even bothering to watch anyone walk in as he sipped his coffee.

"It's nothing really... I mean it's just... Something he does at night," Malia shrugged, and I felt myself deflate once again. "Most nights, the only way he goes to sleep is if I'm spooning him. Like, I have to be almost laying on him. You know, like, I want to be the little spoon, too? I don't know. He's strange..."

"Really?" I breathed a little too quickly. Malia nodded, puffing out her lips in a sigh, and, though I knew it made me an awful person, I couldn't quell the smugness rising in my chest. Malia asked about Kira's relationship, and she shot into details about what her date with Scott might be like, but I wasn't listening.

Stiles was still sleeping the way we slept. That had to mean something, right? It had to mean he still loved me.

"Y/N? Y/N! Did you hear me?" Malia whispered, snapping me back to attention. She lifted up her test and waved it, showing the C- at the top. "Look. I passed. Thanks for your notes." I grinned at her,—aside from the Stiles thing, she was a pretty good friend—finding it adorable how excited she got. That is, until Coach slapped down another test right on top with a giant letter F on it. Malia frowned at it before looking up at him.

"Disappointed, Malia," Coach said. "Profoundly disappointed." I rolled my eyes at him, forcing myself not to defend her. She looked at me, hopelessness in her eyes.

"I'll send you my notes," I told her with a 'you can do it' smile. She smiled back her thanks before it fell into a frown as she pinched the bridge of her nose. When I looked over to Lydia, her eyes were squinted with thought while she stared at the board. On it said nothing important, so I was confused as to why she looked like she was solving some case in her mind.