Heart Monitor Part 2

I met Scott and Stiles out on the lacrosse field. Stiles came out carrying a duffle bag and a lacrosse stick.

"Okay," Stiles said, setting down the bag next to me and opening it. He pulled out a heart monitor strap, holding it out to Scott. "Now put this on."

"Isn't that one of the heart rate monitors for the track team?" I asked.

"Yeah, I borrowed it," Stiles said. I gave him a look and he corrected himself. "Temporarily misappropriated. Coach uses it to monitor his heart rate with his phone while he jogs, and you're gunna wear it for the rest of the day."

Scott cocked his head. "Isn't that Coach's phone?"

Stiles had a phone in his hand, and he nodded. "That, I stole." He licked his lips and I giggled, rolling my eyes and shaking my head.

Scott smiled. "Why?"

"Alright, well, your heart goes up when you become a wolf, right? When you're playing lacrosse, when you're with Allison, whenever you get angry. Maybe learning to control it is tied to learning to control your heart rate."

"Like the Incredible Hulk," Scott smiled.

"Kind of like the Incredible Hulk, yeah," Stiles sighed.

"No, I'm like the Incredible Hulk," Scott said, smiling smugly.

"Would shut up and put the strap on?" Stiles snapped, making Scott laugh. Stiles looked at me and shook his head like we were in agreement that Scott was being childish. I just laughed at him, waiting as Scott tied the strap around him,

When that was done, Stiles grabbed duct-tape from his bag and took Scott out to the field. Stiles taped Scott's wrists securely behind his back.

"This isn't exactly how I wanted to spend my free period," Scott said.

"Seconded," I muttered. I followed Stiles back. He had the bag with him and his lacrosse stick. "Are you doing this because you're still mad or because you want to help him?"

"Both," he smiled. "Alright, you ready? Remember, don't get angry." Stiles gave me the phone, telling me to keep an eye on the heart rate, and I clicked open the app.

"I'm starting to think this was a really bad idea," Scott said. Stiles picked up a ball and threw it at Scott. It thudded against his chest and he groaned while I winced. Yeah, maybe he was right. But Stiles sure seemed to be enjoying himself. He laughed as he scooped up another ball.

Scott's heart rate bumped to 114 as the second ball hit straight in the chin.

"Okay, that one... kind of hurt," Scott groaned.

"Quiet. Remember, you're supposed to be thinking about your heart rate, alright? About staying calm," Stiles dismissed. I shook my head at him, smiling.

"You're enjoying this too much," I laughed. He winked at me and threw the third ball. It missed while Scott muttered 'stay calm' over and over as a fourth ball made contact with his shoulder. Ball after ball, Stiles chucked them at Scott, using all of his force.

"You do one," Stiles said, handing me the stick.

"I do it, I'm breaking his bones. No, you do it."

"Come on, it'll help him learn," Stiles urged. Scott said for me to do it, so I sighed and scooped up a ball.

"I've never even played before," I grumbled. I took a deep breath, thought about where I wanted to ball to go, then shook my head and reared back. I watched the ball fly from my stick with impressive speed and it slammed into Scott's ribs. He fell to his knees groaning, and I dropped the stick, covering my mouth. "I'm sorry! I'm so sorry! I told you not to let me do it!"