Raving Part 1

Sheriff took a bite of his burger, chewed once, then frowned.

"Oh, what the hell is this?" Sheriff grumbled. Stiles was still divvying out the food to me. We brought dinner to Sheriff at the station and decided to stay and eat with him in his office.

"Veggie burger," I smiled, amused by the fact that Sheriff would not like this one bit.

"Guys, I asked for a hamburger," Sheriff said.

"Well, veggie is healthier. We're being healthy." Stiles smiled and held up his salad. I pointed to mine and said yum like Sheriff was a kid who'd eat it if I did it first. He sighed, shaking his head, and opened his fries. Only they weren't fries, they were celery and carrot sticks.

"Oh, hell, why are you trying to ruin my life?" Sheriff mumbled.

"I'm trying to extend your life, okay?" Stiles blurted after taking a sip from his cup. "Could you just eat it, please?"

"And tell us what you found," I added as Sheriff looked at the vegetables with disgust.

"No, I'm not sharing confidential police work with teenagers," Sheriff said. Stiles pursed his lips while I shoved a forkful of lettuce into my mouth.

"Is that it on the board behind you?" Stiles asked. On the board behind Sheriff was a bunch of fingerprints, photos, arrows, coroner reports, and police reports. Sheriff looked over his shoulder to check.

Stiles and I craned our necks to see it better. Half-heartedly, Sheriff said, "Don't look at that."

"A'ight," Stiles said, leaning back in his seat but not looking away.

"Yeah..." I muttered, still eying the photos.

"Avert your eyes," Sheriff said a little sterner. When we both leaned to the side to look past him, he said, "Hey! Aver-."

"Just-. It's just-. I see..." Stiles stumbled.

"Photos. Arrows," I listed.

"Pointing at pictures," Stiles said.

"Okay, okay, stop. Fine," Sheriff relented. I raised my eyebrows at him in waiting. Sheriff kept looking to the door to make sure no one was walking in. "I found something. Mechanic and the couple who were murdered. They all had something in common."

"All three?" Stiles asked.

"Yeah, and you know what I say. One's an incident, two's coincidence-," Sheriff said, listing them off on his fingers.

"Three's a pattern," Stiles and I recited.

"The mechanic, the husband, the wife—all the same age. All 24."

"Wait a minute, but what about Mr. Lahey?" I asked.

"Yeah, Isaac's dad isn't anywhere near 24," Stiles completed. We were both hooked onto every word Sheriff said, leaning toward him with anticipation.

"Which made me think that either a) Lahey's murder wasn't connected, or b) the ages were a coincidence. Until I found this, which would be 'c'." Sheriff handed Stiles a file and I leaned over to look at it over Stiles' shoulder. The first page had a big red stamp on it saying, 'died in combat'. "Did you know that Isaac Lahey had an older brother named Cameron?"

"No," I mumbled. How did I not know about that? Why hadn't Isaac said anything?

"But if he were alive today, take one guess as to how old he'd be?" Sheriff said, a small smile on his face.

I swallowed thickly as Stiles sighed, "24." Stiles and I jumped up to cross the desk. We stood to the left of Sheriff, who'd turned to stand and look at the board with us.

"What if same age means same class? Did you think of that?" I asked quietly.

"Yeah, yeah..." Sheriff mumbled into his fingertips. I nodded, turning my attention back to the board. "Well, I would've. I mean. L-look, I just got Lahey's file two hours ago." Sheriff sounded defensive, and I felt both proud and guilty. Proud because I just helped with the case, and guilty because I didn't mean to make Sheriff feel inadequate.

"Two hours? Dad, people could be dying," Stiles blurted loudly.

"Yeah, I'm aware of that. Thank you," Sheriff replied, just as loudly. I glanced at Stiles who sighed and looked at the board.

On the board was a picture of Isaac's father that I tuned into. I hated him. In the photo, he looked like a regular middle-aged man, a smile on his face. You'd never guess that he beat his kid. I wonder if he beat Cameron, too.

"Same class..." Sheriff muttered under his breath, thinking hard. Suddenly our heads turned to Sheriff and his turned to us.

We gathered every yearbook and file from that class we could and stacked them on Sheriff's desk. We started going through the files on top, putting the ones that weren't what we were looking for to the side. Stiles picked up a blue folder.

"Okay, this is it. Class of 2006," he said, opening it. Sheriff and I continued to look for more clues as Stiles read through the papers in the file. "They all went to Beacon Hills."

"Including Isaac's brother," I said, pointing at the spot in Cameron's folder that said where he went to high school.

"Alright, so what if they all knew each other, you know? I mean, two of them were married, so maybe they all just hung out," Stiles said.

Sheriff shrugged, scanning down the list of students in intermediate chemistry of 2006. "Well, they could have had the same classes together, they could've-." He stopped talking suddenly.

"What?" I said.

"Same teacher." He flipped the page over so we could see the picture of Mr. Harris at the top.

"Harris... They were all in his class?" Stiles asked.

"All four," Sheriff nodded. "And I don't know how Mr. Lahey fits in, but this-. Kids, this is definitely a pattern." He pointed at the paper that I stared at. It would make sense. If Harris is controlling Jackson... He always did seem to be extra nice to him lately, and Harris is never nice.

Stiles and I stared at each other, obviously thinking the same thing.

Sheriff obliviously said, "Alright, give me the 2006 yearbook. These names—we need faces." I riffled through the pile of yearbooks, pulling out the correct one and opening it while Sheriff dialed a number.

"Which ones?" Stiles asked.

"Everyone in that chemistry class," Sheriff answered. "If the killer's not done killing..."

"One of them is next," Stiles said, making Sheriff nod.

I stopped on a page for the seniors, matching names to faces.