The Benefactor Part 2

It took some begging, but I finally managed to convince Melissa to let me use her car. I had to bring it back in one piece, but I think she trusted me.

The music was up loud in the car as I drove through the woods, but that was mostly for my benefit. I felt like something was slipping in my grasp, and the music was helping me focus. Next to me, it seemed to be having the opposite effect on Liam.

"We're going to Lydia Martin's lake house," I told him, trying to help him focus. "Well, technically, it's her grandmother's. But she's dead, so..." Liam's breaths were heavy as he plugged one of his ears.

"Can you turn the music down?" he panted. I debated, my eyes flicking to the volume button. If I turned it down, I would have less control, but it was obviously causing him discomfort. With a sigh, I flicked off the radio, and a silence filled the car. "Thank you."

"Yeah... Can you talk to me?" I asked.

"What?"

"Just talk, about anything. I need to focus on something."

"Well, focus on the road."

"I can't! Just give me something to think about!" I yelled, feeling close to bursting.

"Like what?!"

"I don't know!" I thought about something, but I wasn't sure how he would take it. In this situation, Stiles would've kissed me, but I doubted that would be helpful right now. However... "Hold my hand." I stuck out my hand for him, and he stared at it with confusion. "Seriously, just take it."

A smile spread on his face as he laced our fingers together. It made me feel a little calmer like I hoped it would. He said, "If you wanted me to hold your hand, all you had to do-."

"No," I cut him off. "No, no. This isn't a romantic thing. This is me trying to relax. I'm not into you, and you're not into me, okay?"

His smile fell, and he now looked completely lost. "Um... Okay?" Liam jumped at the sound of his phone buzzing, and he checked it with a guilty look on his face. "Hey, who'd you say would be at this party?" I hoped he couldn't feel the subtle squeeze of my hand trying to come up with a lie.

"Everyone?" I blurted. He nodded and wrote a text back with his free hand. I think the contact was helping both of us stay calm. Or I'd like to think so. Otherwise, this might be a little awkward for him.

Suddenly it felt like something snapped in my chest, and I stomped on the brakes, realizing what was happening. The full moon was boring into me through the front windshield and I was too weak to control the change it would force on me.

I screamed, trying to hold it back as I gripped Liam's hand. He was calling my name, but it sounded far away or like he was yelling into a pillow. I could feel my fangs start to slide out, and I knew I had to hide it. I turned away from Liam, facing the window and releasing his hand. He put his hand on my shoulder, asking if I was okay.

My claws slowly slid out and I hugged my hands to my chest, keeping my back to him. I am smart, I am strong, I am fearless.

"What?" he breathed. I hadn't realized I'd been saying it out loud, but, despite that, I said it louder.

"I am smart, I am strong, I am fearless!" I yelled, my forehead pressed against my window. I dug my claws into my palms, trying to stave off the shift until I was alone. It seemed to be working, the pain zinging up and down my arms. I could feel the blood squishing through my fingers as my claws slipped out of my skin, replaced by human nails. I panted as my fangs went away. Only then did I notice how worried Liam seemed to be.