Anchor Part 2

I shook my head at Stiles with worry, my claws not retracting no matter how hard I tried.

"Okay, look down. Keep your head down and your hands hidden." Stiles ducked Scott's head under his arm and grabbed my wrists, dragging us into the nearest empty classroom while the people in the watching probably thought we were freaks.

Stiles shut the door, letting us go and I leaned against a desk, my claws digging into the undersides as I tried desperately to control them.

Scott stumbled down the aisle, his teeth emerging as he shrugged off his jacket.

"Guys, get away from me. I don't want to hurt you."

"Scott, it's okay," Stiles tried.

"I don't know what's going to happen. Get back." Scott dug his claws into his palms, a large amount of blood pouring from them. He dropped to his knees.

I was slowly starting to shift, the skin of my eyebrows pulling taut as my ears elongated.

"Scott, I can't-. Control-." As my fangs slid out, it was hard to speak from the amount of self-control I was trying to find. Stiles took a step towards me, and I growled, "Get away!" He backed up as Scott ran to me. I panted as the desk cracked under my grip.

"Don't hate me for this," Scott muttered, taking a hold of my arm with both of his hands. He jerked upwards, and the bones in my left arm split. I screamed loudly at the pain, and Stiles quickly muffled it by shoving his jacket against my mouth, but I felt my body return to human.

"Pain makes you human," Scott said, breathing heavily.

I slid down to the floor, sitting back against the desk and panting, whimpering, and sweating as my arm healed itself, and Scott said down next to me. On my other side, Stiles knelt facing Scott and me.

"Scott, this isn't just in our heads. This is real," Stiles said, his voice telling us how scared he was for us. "And it's starting to get bad for me, too. I'm not just having nightmares. I'm having these dreams where I literally have to scream myself awake. And sometimes I'm not even sure if I'm ever actually waking up."

Scott looked at him seriously. "What do you mean?"

"Do you how you can tell if you're dreaming? You can't read in dreams. More and more, the past few days, I've been having trouble reading. It's like I can't see the words, I can't put letters in order."

"Even now?" I asked, my brows furrowed as I listened. Stiles looked at the board over Scott's head, standing with glistening eyes. His eyes darted from everything in the room that had words on them, then he looked at me.

"I can't read a thing," he croaked.

-----------------------------

I sighed as I threw on my night clothes. I couldn't wear anything but pants and long sleeves anymore when I wasn't with Stiles. I even had to put on two pairs of socks, and sometimes that still wouldn't be enough.

I heard my window open behind me and without turning, I said, "Yes, Isaac?"

"I have to tell you something," he mumbled. The fact that he sounded guilty made me turn to face him with concern. "I have to move on, Y/N. I can't keep waiting for you."

Realization struck me like a bus and I suddenly felt like the worst person in the world. Had I been unintentionally dangling him from a string this entire time? I frowned sadly and walked up to him, stopping a foot away.

"Oh, Isaac," I muttered. He looked at me with hopeful eyes, like he was waiting for me to fall into his arms. "That's what I want you to do." His face dropped and he looked down. I couldn't stand to see him upset, so I walked close enough to caress his cheek. "I want you to be happy. You deserve to be happy."