The Divine Move Part 1

Isaac, Scott, and Lydia were at the police station right now telling Sheriff about Allison's death and offering ways to cover it up. I didn't worry about them, they'd get through it. Well, maybe not Scott. I was more concerned about Argent. He just lost his daughter, and yet he handled it with a level of professionalism that I didn't think anybody had.

The second he got there, Scott was still freaking out and I was still with Stiles, hauling him out of the hallway after letting the blood drain from my ears. Allison was stabbed by the Oni, which were now under Void's control. Even though my ears weren't at their best, I could still hear Argent coaxing Scott through what to say to the police.

"I called her dad. But there were two of them. They tried to steal our car. They wore masks and I think one of them had a knife. It happened so fast..." Those were the words Scott was told to say about Allison's death, and those were the words he was probably telling the police right now.

It was hard to think Allison was actually gone. There was a time when we were good friends. Now, I didn't know whether I felt guilty about not sticking with that friendship or felt relieved. I don't think I could handle the death of someone I loved. Not ever, but most definitely not now. Not when everything around me was already so fragile like glass.

I got out in time to see that Allison had died in Scott's arms. That, no doubt, would leave an imprint on his mind for years to come. No one should have to watch their first love die, especially not Scott.

And especially not me. That's why I never left Stiles' side as he, Kira and I went to her house with Mrs. Yukimura. She was teaching Kira to play a game called GO, and it was supposed to somehow teach us how to defeat Void. Personally, I thought we were just wasting our time, but Stiles seemed to think it would help, so whatever, I guess.

Stiles' lips were dry and cracked and his movements were jerky. They'd always been jerky, but not like this. He trembled all the time, and the longer I watched him, the more I swore I could see him dying. How was I supposed to cope with that? Scott had at least moved on from the relationship, so he loved Allison, but he wasn't in love with her. I was in love with Stiles, and there was no getting out of it. If he died, what would I do? What could I do? I couldn't imagine life without him.

Mrs. Yukimura poured Stiles some hot tea, and he stared at it cautiously.

"Here, it'll calm you," she said, holding the small cup out to him. He took it from her, asking what it was. "Tea."

"What, like magic tea?" he elaborated. Mrs. Yukimura's eyes flicked to me and I offered her a 'that's my boy. Sorry' smile before she looked back to Stiles.

"No, chamomile tea. Drink it."

Stiles nodded like it was a reasonable assumption and lifted the cup to his lips. I chuckled lightly and put a hand on his knee, silently telling him I loved him.

"He's not safe here," Mr. Yukimura said, walking into the room.

"He's not safe anywhere," Mrs. Yukimura replied.

"But Allison killed an Oni. She shot an arrow into its chest. It just...vanished like smoke," Kira recalled.

"How is that even possible?" Her dad asked.

"I'm not sure how," Mrs. Yukimura answered, helpfully.

"But she did it. She killed one of them." Kira tried to reason, but it seemed like her parents weren't listening.

"Yeah, and then they killed her," Stiles added. I sighed, wetting my dry lips. "Allison's dead... Now I guess the only good thing is it looks like I'm dying, too." My heart clenched painfully as tears sprung to my eyes. Stiles noticed my reaction and started to apologize, but I cut him off by standing quickly and asking for the bathroom.

Mr. Yukimura pointed me in the direction and I hurried off, hearing Stiles sigh behind me. I locked the door and leaned against the sink, trying to force back the tears. Sometimes, Stiles was an idiot, and now was one of those times. He doesn't think before he speaks.

Looking in the mirror, I sternly told myself to woman up. I was smart, I was strong, I was fearless. I was fearless. I had to be fearless. I dried my eyes, straightened my spine, and walked back into the living room. I still sat next to Stiles, but not as close. I didn't want another reason to be weak. Of course, I didn't get much of an option because he immediately reached over to grab my hand apologetically. I grit my teeth and gave him a small, meaningless smile.

"So what's our next move?" I asked, hoping to embody Argent's professionalism.

"At this point," Mr. Yukimura sighed. "You need a divine move."

"What's that?" Stiles croaked.

Mrs. Yukimura smiled up at her husband lovingly and admiringly. "In the game of GO, it's what we call a truly inspired or out-of-the-box move. The Nogitsune has had sente, the advantage, until this point. What you need is a divine move in order to turn the game around."

"Okay, so is anyone feeling divinely inspired?" Stiles asked.

"Mom, you said you trapped it in a glass jar, right?" Kira wondered.

"It wasn't the jar that trapped it. It was where I buried it. The Nemeton. When you two and Scott saved your parents, you freed it." She didn't say it with judgement in her voice; it was more like she was stating a fact. "I don't know too much about it."

"Who does?" Kira asked.

"Deaton," Stiles said immediately. I nodded to agree with him.

"I'll call Scott and tell him to talk to Deaton," I said. I was acutely aware that my voice sounded cool as though I were speaking to a colleague instead of the love of my life. I couldn't help it. I felt like I needed to emotionally detach from him if he was really so set on dying tonight.

I think he realized this because he sighed, squeezing my hand again like he was trying to jumpstart my feelings again. I couldn't let it work. I didn't want to wind up like Scott. I slid my hand from his, going to stand in the hallway to dial Scott's number. He picked up on the third ring.

"Hey, Scott. Kira's mom said the Nemeton might have the power to trap Void. She did it once before. You think Deaton might know anything that can help?"

"Uh, yeah. Lydia and I are on our way to him now. We'll ask."

"Okay, thanks."

Before I could hang up, I heard Scott call my name. "Are you okay? You sound upset."

"I'm fine," I replied. He was quiet, and I knew he was waiting for me to tell the truth. "I'm worried, Scott... Stiles keeps talking about his death and I-..." I paused to take a deep breath. This time when the tears came to my eyes, they spilled over onto my cheeks. "If he dies..."

"Y/N, I'm going to do everything I can to save Stiles, okay?" he promised. I sniffled quietly and said okay, and he hung up. I crossed my arms and leaned back against the wall, closing my eyes to stop the tear shed. I groaned quietly at myself and dried my cheeks, then strutted back into the room. Mr. and Mrs. Yukimura gave me awkward looks like they knew I'd been crying but didn't want to comment on it, while Kira and Stiles gave me pitied looks. Great, that would, no doubt, be another conversation for later.

Instead of acknowledging it, I sat down and said, "Scott's going there now. We should probably go, too. Meet up with him and Lydia."

"Yeah." Stiles started to stand and stumbled a bit. I was instantly at his side to hold him up. He smiled weakly his thanks, and I grabbed the keys from his pocket while walking him to the jeep, Kira following behind.