Echo House Part 2

The second Sheriff dropped me off, Scott phoned me, telling me to meet him and Allison at the animal clinic. I wanted to sleep, but clearly, sleep wasn't allowed anymore, so I sighed and walked to the clinic.

Deaton told us his plan to poison the fox, and that he'd been in Japan for the last few weeks trying to find the poison. Argent was on the phone on speaker, listening to the plan as well.

"But we have two problems now," Deaton said. "First, the lichen is not a cure. It'll wear off in only a matter of days."

"But while it does work, the Oni won't go after Stiles, right?" Argent asked. I was pretty sure he was still in custody at the Sheriff's station, but I wasn't sure what for.

"I hope. Eichen House has an unusual history," Deaton replied. "It might not be all that safe for the Oni as well."

"What's the second problem?" Argent prodded, and I leaned against the counter of Deaton's desk.

"I checked with your contacts in Japan. The Yakuza boss you saw killed by the Oni never found the scroll," Deaton said to Argent.

"What scroll?" I asked.

"The Shugendo scroll. The Shugendo were the ascetic mystics of Japan."

"The scroll has information on how to exorcise the Nogitsune," Argent added.

"Without killing Stiles?" I checked.

"Yes."

"So we need to find that scroll," Scott said urgently.

"Exactly," Deaton replied. "And I did get a name of the last man who purchased it. Kincaid."

Allison's eyes widened and she said, "He was with Katashi. He's the guy who met with Isaac to buy the gun."

"Sounds like Katashi wanted the scroll for himself," Deaton said to her.

"But Stilinski already told me nothing like it was found among his things. And a paranoid like Katashi would keep it close. Probably on him at all times," Argent informed, his deep voice grumbling through the phone speaker.

Again, Allison's eyes looked like she was getting an idea. "What's the Shugendo scroll look like?" Deaton stood and pulled open a little drawer behind him. He handed Allison a large thick scroll bound with twine. "Do these come in different sizes?"

"Any size," Deaton replied, the look on his face saying he wasn't understanding what Allison was trying to get at. I didn't either, but I had a feeling that was probably because I was missing so much of the puzzle.

"Then I think I know where it might be," Allison said.

Allison and Deaton left to go find it, and Scott took me home. Without changing, a dropped onto my bed, cuddling my pillow like it was Stiles. It smelled like him since that was the side he always slept on. It would work for now, I guess.

I was counting down the minutes on my fingers and toes until I could see Stiles tonight, but in the meantime, Scott, the twins, Allison and Lydia were concocting a plan to rob an armored car carrying all the Katashi evidence. I wanted to help, but tonight was the Stiles thing. It wasn't entirely selfish. I was bringing Stiles his pillow so he could sleep, so it was for him, too. At least, that's what I told myself.

I already had Stiles' pillow with me when the hour mark hit. It was almost 11, so I packed a bag of food, our favorite candy, and I slid on my jacket.

I ran through the chilly night to get to Eichen House, then slowed to a walk so I wouldn't look suspicious as I slid into the woods next to it. If I was remembering correctly, there should be a sewer entrance around here somewhere.