Silverfinger Part 3

I glanced over to see I was standing too close to the twins, and I could feel myself starting to seethe, so I rolled my eyes at them and stepped away, leaning back against the counter with my arms crossed.

"I wasn't gunna hurt her," Aiden said, sounding like he meant it, which was weird. A sincere Aiden was a new discovery.

"Not yet," Derek said, his back to them.

Aiden chuckled like he thought Derek was childish. "Why do you think we're here, Derek? For a study group? We're here to protect Scott."

"We're trying to fight for him," Ethan added. His sincerity didn't come as that much of a surprise. There were some days I actually could stand him.

"I'm sure you are," Derek hummed while I snorted my opinion on that. "I'm sure you'd kill for him." Derek finally turned to face them so he could look at them as he asked his next question. "But are you willing to die for him?"

I wanted to say I already had, (a couple times actually.) but I kept quiet as the twins shared a look that said, 'probably not'.

The house trembled as though we had our own private earthquake while an Oni tried to break through the barrier by beating it with his sword. I stood up straight, staring at the one by the broken window next to the twins.

So far, it looked like it was holding up, but what about when it doesn't? What then?

Scott ran in, asking, "What are they doing?"

"Testing for weaknesses," Ethan replied. Two Oni beat at the window in the kitchen, knocking a plate and bowl set off the counter. It shattered on the floor. It seemed a constant flow of tremors ran through the house as the Oni took turns hitting the barrier with the butt of their swords.

They dug the tips of their swords into the barrier, and one pulled out when the end pushed through. The one who pulled out shoved his hand through the small hole they'd created.

"Scott, I don't think this is working out as well as we hoped it would," I said, staring at the invasive gloved hand trying to break the barrier even more.

"I'm gunna call Allison," Scott said, already dialing her number.

"Well, I hope whatever she has to say is worth it," I mumbled to myself, staring at the threatening Oni. There was now a hole large enough to shoved his chest into.

"They're looking for someone possessed," Allison explained quickly. "Someone with a dark spirit attached to them. A nogitsune. They won't hurt you. They know you're supernatural, but once they do this check, once they realize that you're not carrying the dark spirit with you, then they won't hurt you, I promise. All they're looking for is the nogitsune."

Kira looked down with guilt. What would they do if she was the nogitsune? Would they kill her? They didn't look like all they wanted to do was talk the nogitsune out of her. Scott slowly brought the phone down, his expression saying he was thinking the exact same thing I was.

"I'm right, aren't I?" Kira asked. "They're looking for me."

"They're looking for a dark spirit. And I know it's not you," Scott comforted, sounding like he meant it. I was surprised he could be so confident in that while I was standing here with one foot in and one foot out.

"Scott, we're gunna have to do something," Derek blurted, teetering on his feet like he was preparing for a fight while the Oni inched their way through the barrier bit by bit.

The barrier snapped open like flying glass as the Oni finally stepped through. The twins and Derek formed a wall between the Oni and us, and the Oni lifted their swords for a fight.

"God, I hope you're right about this, Scott," I whispered. I ran to the three in front of me, pushing them aside. "Let them through."

The twins and Derek looked at me with confusion.

"Let them through," I repeated sternly.

"Is she serious?" Aiden spat.

"Don't do anything," Scott said, backing me up. Kira looked worried, understandably, but I was putting my faith in Scott. We all split to the side while Scott took Kira's hand. Together, they walked between us and right in front of the Oni. Two of them walked in tandem until they each thrust a hand out, gripping the sides of Scott and Kira's heads. They're eyes started to glow that same firefly yellow.

Scott and Kira tensed, and I remembered the feeling well as they dropped to their knees, staring up into the eyes of the Oni. Ethan tried to walk forward, but Derek pulled him back by his shirt. The Oni leaned forward, cocking their heads slightly at Scott and Kira.

The Oni let go of Scott, searing the back of his ear with that same backwards 5, and Scott fell to the ground, unmoving. I hoped that meant I could go to him now because that's what I did. I dropped down next to him, feeling his skin was as cold as mine.

Then Kira fell on the other side of me, the same mark on her ear. The Oni spun around and vanished into the night.

"You'll be fine," I whispered to them as the others joined me on the ground next to Scott and Kira. The thought of Stiles popped into my head. If the Oni found him, he'd be freaked. He'd have no idea to just not fight them. What if it killed him?

I looked down at Scott, but I couldn't focus. I had to get to Stiles.

"Y-You guys take care of him. I have to get to Stiles," I said, hopping up.

Scott mumbled, forcing himself to stand, "No. I'm going with you."

"You sure you're up for it?" I asked as he wobbled a bit.

"I have to make sure he's okay."

I nodded and we rode in the back as Melissa drove us and McCall to the hospital. I didn't even wait to see if he would make it in okay as I led Scott to Stiles' room.

I opened the door, saying, "He's right in-..." I looked around to see the bed empty. I knew he read my note because it was moved, but his keys were still there, so I also knew he didn't leave. I listened, and quickly found the sound of his heart.

At the same time, Scott and I said, "That way." We walked down to the west wing, finding Stiles in the morgue. I pushed open the door with a relieved sigh as he looked over his shoulder at me.

"There you are," I said, stepping into his arms. His arms hovered over my like he found my hug odd, then he finally hugged me back, squeezing me against him gently. Pulling back, I asked, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, fine," he said, his eyebrows raised in that adorable way I love.

"You look better. Sleep good, I'm guessing?"

"Worse when you left." He pressed a kiss to my temple and took my hand. "What's been going on?" We walked to Scott, who sighed heavily, then he turned and walked with us out of the room.