117 Part 1

Stiles drove straight to the clinic after dropping Kira and Malia off. Lydia had insisted on coming, and I had to. I wasn't ready to go home to my parents and explain why I had taken an unauthorized trip to Mexico without telling anybody. Oops.

Scott and I lugged teenage Derek through the rain and into the back doors then laid him onto the metal table for Deaton to examine. Derek was still weak and barely awake, so it kind of felt like he was our science experiment. He was covered in a cold sweat and was still wrapped in the itchy blanket Stiles had in the back of his jeep.

"Wow..." Deaton said, staring down at Derek with an expression I hoped was 'I know exactly how to fix this.' I was most definitely reading his expression wrong.

"Wow? Wow as in, 'I've seen this before and I know exactly what to do,' kind of wow?" Stiles asked. Sometimes I thought we were too alike for our own good, and other times I thought we couldn't be more different.

"That's the kind of 'wow' we're hoping for," I told him. Deaton blinked up at us with our answer. Hell no.

"I think you two might be overestimating my abilities," he replied. Well, we certainly overestimated his ability to be comforting. Lydia held Derek's hand lightly.

"He's cold. Really cold," she said. Deaton picked up Derek's other hand and felt for a pulse.

Scott looked hopeless as he asked, "Do you think this is permanent?"

Deaton opened Derek's left eye and shone a small flashlight into it. He shook his head. "I'm not sure a medical diagnosis is even adequate." He looked up at Scott with an almost fearful look. "This is well beyond my experience."

"So what do we do with him?" I asked.

"Until he wakes up? Probably not much. It might be best to leave him here with me. He'll be safe here." Usually, when people said stuff like that, it was because they were up to something darker and planned to hurt the person left behind, but I didn't think that was the case here. I trusted Deaton.

"You mean from Kate?" Stiles said.

Deaton turned to face Stiles with seriousness. "If she's alive and she is what you say she is, she won't be able to walk past that gate."

"Why would she want to do this to him?" Lydia wondered, her voice small.

"Knowing Kate, it's probably for a reason that won't be any good for anyone but her."

Stiles scoffed loudly, "And bad for everyone else."

Deaton nodded, agreeing with him, which is what Stiles didn't want. Stiles moved his head in a circle, stretching his neck so he wouldn't say anything bad right now.

"You guys should probably go home. He doesn't look to be in any danger. So maybe the rest of you should get some sleep." As Deaton said that, I felt my vision start to blur with exhaustion. "It's a school night. You all need to start taking care of your own lives again."

"Someone should stay with you," Scott said, though I could taste the enervation coming from him as much as it came from me.

"I'll stay," Lydia offered. "My grades are fine...despite missing a few classes." I shrugged, nodding to Scott. I was totally okay with that. Scott told her to text us if anything happens, then we slumped back to the jeep.

Stiles dropped Scott off first, and I had to convince Stiles to let me go home tonight. I needed to see my parents, to feed my cat, and to sleep in my own bed for a night. He said he had a bad feeling, but I didn't, so I overruled him.