Currents Part 2

Ms. Blake slapped a textbook down on her desk to get our attention in Chem. She seemed perkier today.

Smiling, she said, "Good morning. As you all know, Mr. Harris is still missing—I-I mean, sick... Anyway, I'm filling in while we all hope and pray for a more qualified substitute to take my place. Okay, so, let's get started, shall we?"

Stiles leaned over to Scott, who leaned back to listen as Stiles said, "Hey, so my Dad said that the E.R. attending wasn't strangled but did die from asphyxiation. They just don't know how."

"Do you think the on-call doctor could still be alive?" Scott whispered back.

"I'd be surprised if she was," I mumbled, sighing. "But, Scott, there's at least 20 other doctors in that hospital. How are we supposed to protect all of them?" Scott started to shrug, but then his phone went off loudly, making us all jump as he scrambled for it.

"Hey, Doc. Sorry, I'm in class right now. Can I call you back later?" Scott whispered, leaning down like it would hide the fact that he was on the phone.

Deaton was on the other end, replying, "Unfortunately, no. I honestly thought I might never have to burden you like this, but I'm afraid at the moment you're my only hope." Scott looked back at me, knowing I was listening in, and both of us stared at each other with narrowed eyes. "I'm going to be taken. I need you to find me." Deaton hung up and I opened my mouth to talk, but closed it as I realized I didn't know what to say.

Finally, I just said, "Call Sheriff. Let's go now." We all three jumped up to run out of the classroom. Stiles had to catch up because he wasn't quite ready, but we ignored Blake's protests as we raced out into the hall.

Scott was already on the phone with Sheriff by the time we made it to Stiles' jeep.

----------------------------

We made it to the animal clinic, but it was too late. Deaton was gone. The weird part was everything looked completely normal. If Deaton were about to be taken to be the next human sacrifice, wouldn't he at least put up a fight? I mean, it looked like he'd literally vanished into thin air.

Sheriff showed up a minute later and Scott explained what happened. My face was red and hot as I avoided Sheriff's eye. I thought I'd at least get a day to strip off the embarrassment of him catching me and Stiles going at it in the bathroom.

I think Stiles noticed because he put his arm around my waist and smirked, pulling me to his side. I elbowed him subtly, telling him what I thought of his antics.

Sheriff put a hand on Scott's shoulder. "Alright, we're gunna do everything we can. Right now, the best thing you can do is go back to school." We all nodded (me mostly at the floor) and Sheriff left to go talk to one of his deputies. Scott nodded at the room on our right and we quietly eased into it, closing the door behind us. There were crates that used to be filled with cats now all empty.

"We have to tell him," Scott said seriously. Stiles stuck his neck out, his eyes flicking around with uncertainty.

"You mean like tell him, tell him? Or tell him something else that isn't telling him what I think you want to tell him?"

"Seriously, Scott. I haven't even told my parents about this, and they know everything else," I agreed. Sure, Sheriff would know the truth, but he'd also have to find a way to deal with that in a way that wouldn't bring up questions. It's best if he didn't know the whole story.

"You remember how your mom reacted?" Stiles said nervously. "She didn't look you in the eye for like a week."

"And she got over it," Scott replied pointedly. "And it actually made us closer."