Party Guessed Part 1

"Lydia's party, Lydia's party..." I mumbled under my breath, rifling through my closet. I had nothing to wear. All my dresses were too dressy and all my jeans were too casual. I could wear shorts. I walked out of my closet to my dresser, opening the third drawer.

One by one I pulled shorts out of my drawer, flinging them behind me haphazardly.

"Too long. Too short. Not cute enough. Uncomfortable. Chaffing. UGH!" I fell backwards onto my back, staring up at the ceiling with my limbs flailed out around me. Suddenly, I shot up, an idea coming to my head. I ran to my closet, going to the very back. I never wore it, but now seemed like the perfect occasion. I reached for the skirt I kept there, taking it out to my bed.

Setting down, I stared at it with my hands on my hips. It was black pleather that stopped a few inches below my butt. It wasn't form-fitting, so I figured it would be acceptable to wear. But what the hell do I pair it with?

Screw it, I was going all black tonight. I paired the skirt with a black tank top that was tucked in and a pair of black gladiator-type heels that laced around my ankle. Looking at myself in the mirror, I nodded with a satisfied frown. Not bad.

For my hair, I braided one thick strand and bobby-pinned it around, then let my hair fall in waves. I yelled come in when someone knocked at my door.

"Are you going to Lydia's party tonight?" my mom asked, walking over to me.

"Yes."

"With Stiles?"

"Well, he's taking me. I wouldn't say I'm going 'with' him. He's still into Lydia," I frowned. Mom nodded, looking around my room.

"You're going to clean this up before you go," she said, and I nodded. She stared at me, and I wondered if she was going to tell me to change. Then her eyes softened. "If anything happens... If you need help, anything, call me or your father."

"I will," I said, suddenly feeling very serious.

"And you take care of your people. It's your responsibility to help those who can't help themselves." For some reason, this conversation felt like she was saying goodbye or something. I knew that wasn't the case, but the seriousness of what she was saying had me worried.

"I know. I always do," I said, lifting my chin into the air with power. I was smart, I was strong, I was fearless.

"Your father and I... We're... We're very proud of you. And we love you very much. You're growing into a beautiful young woman," Mom sniffled. I finally realized why she was being so emotional. Tomorrow would have been Logan's birthday. Logan was my little brother, and he was also dead, a memory that I kept trying to force away. It was too painful.

I bowed my head in shame. No one knew but us the real reason he died. Not even Stiles or Scott. We said he was kidnapped, but it was so far from the truth.

"Okay, well, have fun tonight. Don't get into trouble," Mom said, giving me a tight smile. She left my room quickly and went to her room. She was crying. I gulped back the lump in my throat and controlled my hearing so I couldn't hear her.

I started refolding my clothes and putting them back in my drawer. I didn't even bother to look up when I heard my window open and Isaac step inside my room.

"I don't want you here," I said, pushing my drawer closed.

"You look beautiful," Isaac said quietly.

"Thanks," I replied curtly, sitting down at my desk in front of my mirror. I started applying makeup to my face, hoping that if I didn't talk to Isaac, he'd just leave. I was a fool.