Perishable Part 1

Parrish extended his hands to Derek, who examined them closely. Scott, Lydia, and I watched patiently, our minds rushing with ideas. Or at least mine was. Parrish said he'd been burned alive by another deputy named Haigh for the dead pool. Yet here Parrish was with no evidence of the burn whatsoever. So whatever he was, apparently he was immune to fire.

"He covered you in gasoline?" Derek asked, receiving only a nod from Parrish. Lydia, who didn't stop staring at Parrish's hands, crossed her arms.

"I should be dead," Parrish grumbled.

"Not if you're like us," Scott told him, a kind expression on his face. Parrish turned his eyes to Scott, his brows furrowed.

"Like you?"

"I don't think he's like us," Derek said. I had to agree. It took Peter years before he was back to normal, but it only took Parrish a matter of hours.

"Then what is he?" I asked. Parrish frowned at being talked about like he wasn't here, but I wasn't too worried about hurting his feelings right now. I had too much on my mind. First, Stiles' dad has to go to the hospital to get a bullet removed, only adding further onto their bills and money problems, then Malia runs off to god knows where without a word to anyone, and now Parrish gets set on fire. What the hell was happening ?

"Sorry, but I have no idea," Derek responded, his muscles bulging as he crossed his arms. "There might be something in the bestiary. Did you try Argent?"

"We don't know where he is," I grumbled, my mouth settling in a frown.

"Okay, hold on," Parrish frowned. "What's a bestiary?" A sad smile crossed my face as I remembered the first time Stiles, Scott, and I ever had a conversation about a bestiary. That felt like years ago. Parrish shook his head. "Actually, that's not even my first question. Just... Just tell me one thing. Are you all like Lydia?" Lydia rose her eyebrows at him. "Are you all psychic?"

I stopped myself from bursting into laughter by pressing my lips between my teeth. Yeah, me, psychic like Lydia. What a hoot.

"Not exactly," Scott replied, his foot jerking over to kick me lightly. I forced my smile back into a serious line.

"Okay. Then what are you?" he asked. Scott looked over to me, silently asking if he should do it. If he didn't, I would. I nodded at him and he closed his eyes, letting his arms fall to his sides. When he opened his eyes for Parrish, they glowed red.

We spent nearly 15 minutes trying to explain everything to Parrish. Well, not everything. That would've taken days. We gave him the short version. He still didn't understand though, which is understandable. Some days, I wasn't even sure I understood it.

"What's a Kanima?" Parrish asked, his nose scrunched up as he look up at me from his sitting position. I smiled to myself as I remembered this same conversation with Sheriff and Stiles, then I frowned at the sadness accompanying the memory.

"You know what? It doesn't matter. It's in the past," I said, waving it off. I sat on the other end of the couch from him. "All you really need to know is everyone like us, everyone with a supernatural ability is on the dead pool."

"But I don't even know what I am," Parrish complained. I scoffed. Yeah, he's telling me.

"I'm pretty sure they don't care," Derek snarked, one side of his mouth quirking up in a 'sorry about it' look.

"How many professional assassins are we talking about?"

"We're starting to lose count," Lydia answered.