Fury Part 3

I stayed on my knees next to Stiles, watching Jackson who was watching us. Matt and Scott came in five minutes later.

"The evidence is gone!" I growled at him. "What do you want?!"

"You think the evidence mattered that much?" Matt asked. I gave a small shrug, feeling my chest heavy with dread. "No, no. I want the book."

"What? What book?" Scott asked, shaking his head in confusion.

"The bestiary!" he said. I looked down at Stiles and Derek and we shared a foreboding glance. "Not just a few pages. I want the whole thing."

"I don't have it," Scott said sincerely, shrugging his shoulders. "It's Gerard's. What do you want it for anyway?"

"I need answers," Matt said, beginning to panic.

"Answers to what?" I asked louder to get Matt to answer the question without another evasive one.

"To this." Matt lifted up his shirt, and on the right side of his body were the Kanima scales.

"What the hell?" I mumbled slowly. I looked down to see Stiles' eyes widen instantly as he stared at Matt. Matt lowered his shirt and I squinted my eyes in thought.

Matt and Scott went again, leaving me and Jackson with Stiles and Derek. When Jackson's head was turned, I leapt over the two to kneel next to Derek.

"Don't hate me for this," I whispered. Derek frowned at me, then I dug my claws into his thigh. He made a face like he was in pain, but didn't make a sound. I continued digging as I started talking.

"What are you do-? Oh, gross," Stiles breathed when he saw my nails deep in Derek.

"What's happening to Matt?" I asked to keep them distracted.

"The book's not gunna help him. He can't just break the rules, not like this," Derek groaned.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Universe balances things out. Always does."

"Is it because he's using Jackson to kill people who don't deserve it?" Stiles asked.

"And killing people himself," Derek replied, his voice stronger.

"So if Matt breaks the rules of the Kanima, he becomes the Kanima?" Stiles said, his eyebrows shooting up. I dug my nails in further to keep Derek from healing, twisting my hand slightly. Derek winced, and I could tell he was trying not to be pissed.

"Balance," Derek grunted.

"Think he'll believe us if we tell him that?" I asked.

"Not likely."

"Okay, he's gunna kill all of us when he gets that book, isn't he?" Stiles asked.

"Yep."

"Well, we're not waiting around to find out," I said, shoving my nails deeper to trigger the healing process.

I listened to Scott and Matt talk in the next room. Matt was whining about why he was killing people, telling the story of his 'death'.

"He shouldn't have let them drink. Lahey shouldn't have let the swim team drink. I didn't know what was happening. I didn't know they had just won state, and Lahey, he's letting his favorites come over to have a couple drinks to celebrate. Who cares if they're 17, right?

"Isaac had this first edition spider-man—or was it Batman? And we were gunna make a trade. But then I'm over there and I hear music. And everyone's having a good time, and I see Sean. He throws Jessica in the pool. And then-and then Bennet goes in and then Camden.