Time of Death Part 3

Melissa and Mrs. Yukimura were waiting in the parking lot in Mrs. Yukimura's car. Safe, but watching everyone who came and left. One of the cameras on Kira laptop fizzed out, sending us all into alert.

"Is that supposed to look like that?" Liam asked. The fizzing stopped, and the box went grey, then words 'no signal' popped up.

"No. No, it's not," Stiles replied.

"Where is that?" I asked.

"The roof. Someone's gunna have to check it out."

I was just about to say I'd go, but Kira whipped out her sword. Liam instantly ran after her, going with her.

"Okay, you're going gunna come right back, right? Unharmed! Right? Liam!" I yelled after them, but I got no response. I frowned, worry already eating at me as I crossed my arms and chewed on my finger nails. I sighed and glanced up to see Stiles' eyes narrowed down at me. "What?"

"What's the deal with you two?" Stiles grumbled.

"What do you mean?" I tried to play it off, moving my gaze to the cameras to watch them run through the halls.

"You know what I mean. You were with him this morning, you're always talking about him. What is it? Do you like him or something?"

"I don't..." I threw my arms up with exasperation, unsure how to explain this to Stiles, who refused to take his eyes from me as he crossed his arms. "I don't know what it is. I just wanna... I don't know, hold him or something. Clean him up. Protect him."

He seemed to hate that answer because his chest jumped as he breathed heavily. "So... You're into him."

"God! No! It's not like that. It's more like... Like I have to keep him safe and happy, like a little brother I guess," I admitted. If I had been looking at Stiles, I would've seen the glimpse of understanding cross his face. I pointed to the screen as they passed, then they vanished. "I think they're on the roof now."

Stiles hummed, letting me know he heard me, but he wasn't going to say anything about it. He was clearly unhappy, and I rolled my eyes at him.

"Fine, Stiles, don't talk to me. It doesn't change anything."

Stiles sighed heavily and put his hands on my shoulders, turning me so I would look at him straight on. I stared at him, crossing my arms and pulling my lips into a knot.

"I'm sorry, okay? I know I've been an ass about it lately. I miss you, you know," he said. I froze, waiting to hear the words I'd been longing to hear since he got with Malia. "I miss being friends with you."

Friends.

I blinked, the words floating through my ears, taunting me loudly. The lights flickered, then the cameras went down. "We should find Argent." Stiles followed me silently as we walked down the hall. I looked back while he kept going.

He found Argent first, walking up behind him. Argent whizzed around, pointing a gun at the space between Stiles' eyes. Without thinking, my hand shot out, wrapping tightly around Argent's wrist in a way that would restrict the movement of his pointer finger.

Stiles blinked, his heart racing as he got over his almost death. Argent winced and I pulled my hand away.

"Sorry, force of habit," I mumbled, clutching my own hand to my chest like it was alien to my body.

Argent lowered his gun as Stiles talked. "The power's out in the whole building. We lost all the cameras."

"Stay with Scott. Text me if you see or hear anything," Argent replied, and checked his watch. 18 minutes left. Stiles and I ran off towards the morgue while Argent went the other way.