Tattoo Part 3

Scott found us later, telling us he wanted to talk to Derek about the tattoo. I sighed. Why did he need that freaking tattoo so bad?

"You want to ask Derek for help? Why?" Stiles said unhappily.

"He's got the Triskele tattooed on his back. So there has to be a way to do it without healing, right?" Scott devised.

"Well, yeah, but, doesn't he have his hands a little full right now?" I asked, gesturing to the perfectly timed missing posters of Boyd and Erica.

I stopped talking when I heard a familiar British accent coming from the principal's office. We poked our heads in to see our old principal back in his office, griping about the mess in the library. He slowly lifted a sword into the air.

"And what the hell is this?" he asked. All three of us looked at each other with 'oops' expressions, then Stiles grabbed my hand and started walking.

"Go, go, go," Stiles murmured, like the principal would somehow know we had something to do with it just by the looks of us. We walked into our next class, finding seats next to each other. Allison and Lydia came in, and Lydia sat down. The only other empty chair was in front Scott, so Allison looked around to see if there was another one. She asked Scott if the seat was taken and he stumbled over his words to say she could sit there.

Awkwardly, she sat down, and Scott looked over at me and Stiles. Stiles gave him a sarcastic thumbs-up. My phone vibrated, as did everyone else's in the room, and we checked it to see a text message from an unknown number.

A woman read the message aloud while entering the classroom. "The offing was barred by a black bank of clouds and the tranquil waterway, leading to the uttermost ends of the earth flowed somber under an overcast sky, seemed to lead into the heart of an immense darkness." The woman stopped in front of the desk and looked at us. She must be the new teacher, Ms. Blake.

She had pretty brown hair that was curled and pinned back. She was tall and thin and beautiful. The kind of teacher worthy of a high school boy's attention.

"This is the last line of the first book we're going to read," she said. I frowned. I hated the Heart of Darkness. "It is also the last text you will receive in this class. Phones off, everyone." She smiled like she had made some awesome and original point to us.

I sighed and put my phone on vibrate, slipping it back into my pocket. She wouldn't know it wasn't off. She told us to begin reading Heart of Darkness, so I rested my head on my fist and flipped to the first page.

The principal came in and whispered something to Ms. Blake and she nodded. "Mr. McCall?" She gestured him to come to her and he gathered his supplies and went out into the hallway.

Stiles looked at me and I nodded, already listening in to their conversation. "Uh, I'm sure it's an emergency if your mother needs you to leave school, but I'm gunna give you a warning in the nicest possible way. I am well aware of your attendance record. I don't want you to slip back into old habits," Ms. Blake said to Scott.

"His mom called him out of school for something," I relayed.

"I won't," Scott said. "It's gunna be different this year."

"Did they say what for?" Stiles asked.

"Resolutions are only good if you stick with them, Scott," Blake replied.

"No. We'll have to text him after class," I said.

"I will. I promise it won't be ephemeral," Scott said.

"Scott just used the word ephemeral correctly," I hummed, impressed. Blake came back into the classroom, a small smile on her face.

The reading bored me, so I people watched, and my eyes fell on Lydia's shoes. She always wore really pretty shoes. There was a large band-aid on her ankle.