Time of Death Part 2

I could hear Melissa's wail of horror all the way from the morgue as Dr. Geyer told her about the death of her son at 2102 hours. Even though I knew it wasn't real, hearing her cry made my heart squeeze painfully. I knew how hard this must've been for her, especially since Scott was all she had. I tried to convince Scott to let me do it instead, considering if I actually died, it wouldn't really matter. He had people here who needed him, including me. Of course, neither him nor Stiles allowed me to take his place. Come to think of it, Liam wouldn't let me either.

I was standing next to Stiles, our backs to the door, while Kira, her mother, and Liam stood on the other side of Scott.

Melissa came in a few moments later, sniffling and wiping away her tears. She looked down at Scott laying on one of the slabs sticking out from the wall wearing nothing but a thin blue sheet over his naked body. At least there was no wind passing through.

"I still hate this plan," she said. "I mean this is pretty significantly terrifying. He looks dead." She looked at me and Stiles, rubbing her forehead stressfully.

"Give me your hand," Mrs. Yukimura smiled, her own hand outstretched for Melissa's.

"It's okay," Stiles said when Melissa's questioning look came to us. I nodded in agreement with him, and Melissa sighed, slipping her hand into Mrs. Yukimura's. She placed Melissa's hand over Scott's heart, and Melissa let out a trembling breath.

"Wait for it," Yukimura said, and so she did. Melissa smiled with relief when she felt the slow beat of Scott's heart in his chest.

"Is that enough to keep a werewolf alive?" Melissa asked.

"Enough for an alpha."

"How much time do we have?" Melissa placed her hands on her hips, her emotions suddenly a little less wracked.

"45 minutes."

"What happens after that?"

"I bring him back the same way," Kira said. I wished she had sounded a little more confident, but that was fine, I guess.

"No, I mean, what happens if he stays like this longer than 45 minutes?" I avoided Melissa's eyes, gazing down at my feet. My eyes found Stiles' feet instead, and I realized I had turned slightly into him, so I wouldn't have to feel too much shame over not telling her. Stiles shifted a little closer to me, but I think it was just because old habits die hard.

"No one's told her?" Mrs. Yukimura asked, a quiet fury in her tone.

"What? What happens?"

"He dies."

"Well, then we make sure it doesn't take longer than 45 minutes," Melissa said firmly.

"Agreed," I said. "Stiles, let's go. Kira, Liam, you two go set up the laptops in an empty room. Make sure no one comes in, and make sure it's out of the way so nobody gets suspicious." They nodded at me, and, like a football team, we broke, immediately going to our tasks.

Stiles and I met Mr. Argent down somewhere in the basement. He was helping us with getting the IP address thing since none of us knew anything about it.

Argent's laptop was already set up, the black screen with green code written on it. We nodded to him upon entrance, telling him it was time. Standing next to him, I watched him type out 'Scott Mccall dead. Payment requested.'

Stiles scoffed. "That's your assassin speak?"

Argent furrowed his eyebrows. "I said he's dead. What more do you want?"

"Well, it was a little dry," Stiles complained while I rolled my eyes. "You could've said something like, 'Target has been neutralized. The crow flies at midnight'. That's always cool." Argent stared, unsure how to respond to that.

"Stiles, you've watched one too many spy movies. This isn't the CIA. We don't need codes," I said, and he frowned at me. "Besides, this guy is nothing more than a petty thief. He's not the one killing anyone."

"A brilliant petty thief," Stiles argued from the other side of Argent. We turned to face each other, not really caring that Argent was stuck in between our bickering.

"Brilliant, maybe, but still not special. He's just a regular guy, for all we know," I retorted.

"Oh, a regu-. Y/N, come on! He's-." Stiles was cut off when a rely came back from the Benefactor.

Visual conformation is required.

I forgot the argument with Stiles, refocusing my attention on trying to enact the plan. Stiles rubbed his mouth and leaned forward, preparing to type. Argent sent him a look that made him step back. He looked at me from over Argent's shoulder and I smirked at him. He sent me a mocking frown that reminded me of when children would get in fights and go 'na na na boo boo'.

With a shake of his head Argent said to Stiles, "Type this. 'Visual confirmation isn't possible. Police coming to claim body in 40 minutes'." Stiles was excited, but I think it was just because he felt like he was one of those spies in the movies he loved to watch. While we weren't on the best of terms right now, I couldn't help but smile at how much he loved this kind of stuff.

When we were kids, I got him this pop-up spy book for his birthday. On the first page, there was a Top Secret envelope containing case information. On every page after that, there was some knew evidence brought to light, a new piece of the puzzle for Stiles to think over. It wasn't by any means an easy-to-solve case, yet he had it cracked within two days.

I shook myself out of the memory, not even realizing I was smiling, as the message came in.

Visual confirmation is required for payment.

I groaned quietly, but Argent seemed to be getting a little agitated. He leaned forward onto his hand, the other one on his hip.

"Tell him number two on the list is dead. I killed him. And if the wire transfer isn't completed in 40 minutes..." Argent took the laptop from Stiles, who had been typing furiously to keep up, and he finished the message himself. Stiles rubbed his mouth and looked at me. I had my arms crossed, and I had to admit, the feeling of being a spy help was kind of cool.

Argent finished out the message that Stiles left incomplete.

I'm coming after you.

There was a tension coming off Argent in waves, and I think he was a little too into this.

"Okay. We should get back and monitor the cameras. Argent, set up the hacker and call us when you've done it, please," I said, already pulling on Stiles' arm. Argent nodded, waving us away noncommittedly, and Stiles and I left.

Kira texted Stiles the room number they were in, and we got there quickly. I think it was mostly to avoid the silence that filled between us. Stiles closed the door behind us, and I went to stand on the other side of the bed to look at the laptops with Kira and Liam.

They all had black screens, each with four boxes on them. After a few minutes, Stiles' phone rang. He put it on speaker.

"I'm here," Argent said. "You ready? Try it now." Stiles pressed enter on one of the laptops, and all of them lit up with the video feed from every camera in the hospital.

"We got it," I smiled. "Thanks, Argent." Stiles ended the call, and, out of habit, I extended my fist to him. He tapped his own fist to mine, both our attentions captured by the feed. This was kind of awesome, and I was understanding why Stiles like those spy movies so much.

In one of the B-Wing cameras, I could see Argent walk up and lean against a wall, waiting with his arms crossed. He checked the timer on his watch, and out of curiosity, I checked mine. 28 minutes left.