Night School Part 1

"Lock it!" I yelled as they held the door closed.

"Do I look like I have a key?" Stiles snarked.

"Grab something!"

"Like what?!"

"Anything, just hurry!" Scott said. Stiles stilled then shot up to look out the window. Outside was the large chain cutters that I left on the ground by the stairs.

"No," I said.

"Yes," he replied, handing me the large flashlight he had.

"Stiles!" Scott tried, but Stiles was already opening the door. Stiles slipped out, closing the door behind him.

"If he dies, I'm gunna kill him," I muttered angrily, watching the area around him for Alpha. So far it looked clear, which was either very good or very bad. Stiles left the safety of the door and walked quietly to pick up the tool.

As he picked it up, Alpha crawled out from behind his jeep and spotted him, growling.

Simultaneously, Scott and I yelled for Stiles to come back, which, in hindsight, might not have been the best decision because it only aggravated Alpha. Stiles looked up to see Alpha running for him, and for the first time in my life, I was more than a little nervous.

"Stiles, run!" I yanked opened the door as he jumped up and ran for it. He got inside and I slammed the door closed, panting as I tried to settle my heart. This feeling was fear, and I hated it. I never wanted to feel it again. I took deep breaths and got myself in control again.

"I am strong, I am smart, I am fearless," I thought the mantra my mom taught me in my head on repeat as Stiles stuck the two handles of the tool into each handle on the doors, making a makeshift lock.

The mantra was what I had used to learn control. Some Weres have a mantra like that. For example, some werewolves use the mantra 'alpha, beta, omega' to show that one can always become another. Since we werecats don't have packs, we pride ourselves on being strong, smart, and fearless. Attributes of a good leader.

And right now, that mantra made me pull back my fear and focus on what to do to get everyone out of this alive. It was only me, Scott, and Stiles, so the feat seemed like it would be simple enough.

We looked out the window in the doors to see if Alpha was on his way, but I saw nothing.

"Where is it?" I asked. Scott shook his head, and Stiles took the flashlight back from me, turning it on and shining it out the window. It didn't come to the light, and we couldn't see it anywhere, so we backed away from the door slowly.

"That won't hold, will it?" Scott said. Stiles looked at Scott then me and sighed.

"Probably not." We turned around, and Stiles shone the light down the long dark hallway. It was fit for a horror movie, and I realized just how much my life was starting to resemble one. There were only a few lights to use as a guide, but somehow those few lights made it creepier than if the place had been dark.

From somewhere inside the school, Alpha howled. I couldn't tell where it was coming from because it seemed to come from every direction. We started running, hiding in a classroom. Stiles started to pull the teacher's desk over to block the door, and we helped by pushing it. It scrapped against the floor, making a loud, shrill sound and Stiles stopped us.

"The door's not gunna keep that thing out," Stiles said.

"I know."

"I hate your boss," Stiles said.

"Yeah, your boss in an ass," I grumbled angrily.

"Deaton's not the alpha!" Scott replied, actually meaning it.

"Yes, he is!" Stiles said. "Murdering psycho werewolf." Scott looked like he still didn't believe us.

"Dude! You howl and then Deaton somehow breaks free of his bonds and sneaks out without Derek noticing? An-an-and then what? He goes home to take a bath?! Maybe light some candles? And then that thing shows up? It's not a coincidence, Scott!" I huffed.

"It's not him," Scott affirmed, making me roll my eyes. Why did he choose tonight of all nights to be a stubborn fool?

"He killed Derek," Stiles said.

"Derek's not dead. He can't be dead," Scott replied, his face pinching together the more he tried to convince us he was right.

Stiles leaned over the desk with seriousness. "Blood spurted out of his mouth, okay? That doesn't exactly qualify as a minor injury."

"Looked pretty dead to me," I agreed.

Stiles pointed at me with comradery and said, "He's dead, and we're next."

"Okay! Just... What do we do?" Scott folded. Stiles breathed out panic as he formed a plan.

"Get to my jeep, we get out of here. You seriously think about quitting your job, good?" Stiles said. Stiles left the desk and we all went to the windows, looking down at Stiles' jeep to gauge just how hard this was going to be. Scott tried to open the window, but I put a hand on his wrist.

"No, they don't open. I've tried," I told him.

"The school's climate controlled," Stiles informed.

"Then we break it!"

"Which will make a lot of noise," I said.

"Then we run really fast."

"Woah, woah. Wait. Is it just me, or does your jeep look more sucky than normal?" I asked.

"You know what, Y/N. I love that jeep. It's not sucky, okay, it's-." Stiles started on a rant I've heard hundreds of times. I groaned and grabbed his chin, making him look from me to the jeep. The hood was bashed in at the center, making the outer edges crinkle up in various ways.

Stiles' mouth dropped open as he took in the sight of his bent hood. "What the hell ha-."

The window smashed and we all dropped to the floor, pushing our backs against the wall to keep from being seen and getting glass under our skin. Sliding across the floor and coming to a stop a few feet in front of us was a car battery. Specifically, Stiles' car battery.

Stiles' anger sky-rocketed as he shone the light at the box. He started to stand but Scott pulled him back down.

"We have to move," Stiles said.

"He could be right outside," Scott hissed.

"He is right outside," I reminded. Scott told us to wait as he peeked his eyes up enough to look out the window. Stiles looked sadly at his battery and I pat his arm to comfort him. "Anything?"

"No," Scott replied.

"Move now?" Stiles asked. Scott nodded and we stood, tip-toeing out of the room like it would hide our location. In the hall, Scott tried to make us go right, but Stiles stopped him, telling him we needed a place without windows.

"The locker room," I said, interrupting their window argument. Stiles agreed and we started to run right in the direction of the locker rooms. "Can we go into the girls' locker room this time?"

"No," they said.

"Okay. I just, you know... I-it stinks in there. The girls at least use... perfume, you're not listening to me. Cool." I stopped talking and ran, cursing them in my mind.