The Benefactor Part 1

Start from the beginning

"How do you morons manage to do anything?" I chuckled. Upon hearing my voice, they stopped fighting to glance around. Stiles' foot was pressed against Scott's cheek as he let go of Scott's leg, and Scott shoved Stiles' foot away.

"Your plan sucked, too," Scott grumbled to Stiles as they stared out the open door.

"Okay. I'm leaving." I walked down the stairs and stepped past them. Once I was on the porch, I turned around to give them disapproving looks. "Both of you? Idiots. See you tomorrow."

-----------------------------

I made sure my shoes matched today as I sat next to Kira and Lydia in chemistry. Lydia was staring at her laptop. There was some type of code on it that was way out of my reach. She was trying to figure it out, while I was just struggling to stay seated in the stool. The shift wasn't getting any easier, and it didn't help that I was only eating once a day.

I had already lost quite a few pounds, and I was sure it was due to the energy it took to change twice a day.

"Those are your math notes?" Kira asked, looking with confusion at Lydia's laptop. "No wonder Malia's failing."

"No, that's code," I muttered, my chin resting in my hand as I tried to keep my eyes from fluttering closed. When they opened again, both Lydia and Kira were staring at me.

"How do you know it's code?" Lydia asked. Maybe she hadn't been trying to figure out the code.

"My dad, he was a computer whiz," I replied.

"So can you figure it out?" Kira asked.

Even though I knew it was futile, I leaned over to glance at the laptop. I stared at it for a few seconds, letting them believe I was cracking it. "No." Lydia rolled her eyes as I leaned back over to my space.

"Maybe it's like the Enigma Code the Allies used," Kira suggested. "Remember my dad was a WWII buff? And my mom was, well, in it?"

Lydia shook her head, biting her lip at the screen. "No, I think this is a variation on something called the Vigenere Cipher."

"Do you know how to crack it?" I asked.

"With a key."

Suddenly, a set of keys dangled in front of my face as Lydia's mom, also the principal, held them out for her.

"That key?" I asked jokingly.

"Remember the rules," Natalie Martin said. "No more than six people allowed in the lake house. Stay out of the wine. And if anything gets broken, it's getting added to your credit card debt." Wow... Supportive.

"Fine," Lydia said. She made a grab for the keys, but Natalie pulled them out of the way.

"And lock up the basement. From all the scratch marks I found on the walls, it looked like a pack of wild animals got down there." Natalie placed the keys in Lydia's hand while she smiled awkwardly, and I held back a snigger. That wild animal would be Malia, who still couldn't control her shift on the full moon.

Kira smiled at me, sharing a mental joke as Natalie walked away. Lydia's phone rang, and she put it on speaker.

"Is Y/N with you?" Stiles asked.

"Right here," I mumbled, my words slurred a bit from exhaustion.

"Why haven't you been answering? I've been texting you all morning."

I frowned and pulled my hone out of my pocket. It had no service and no connection. My cheeks flamed with embarrassment as I said, "Sorry. The bill isn't paid..."