Chapter 78

Chapter 78: Don't Leave

Ross' POV

Her heart monitor fell flat and her grip on my hand weakened.

I looked at her in fear as her face went pale and her lips were parted slightly.

The heart monitor beeped straight on it's line but I blocked it out, only hearing the blood rushing through my ears and my heart shattering.

"Audrey?!" I shook her lightly seriously scared out of my mind. "No!!"

Doctors pushed me away from the hospital bed as other nurses were giving her CPR.

I stare at my girlfriend, not knowing what to do.

"Clear!!" a doctor yelled and Audrey's chest jumps up. "Clear!" and her body twitches again.

I look up at the heart monitor as it's still flat. My face falls into my hands.

Rebecca is taken out of the room to be cleaned up and whatever doctors do with new born baby's.

The annoying beep stops and I fall to my knees, and cradle myself, as I stare up at the bed with my blurry eyes.

Riker comes into the room and helps me up and hugs me.

We walk out and Rocky comes up to us and rubs my back.

"She didn't make it?" Rocky asks.

I shook my head no, too speechless from watching my wife slip away from me.

"I-I-- I'm so sorry Ross." Rocky stuttered.

"Ross!" I hear Rydel yell.

I look up an my sister is running up the hallway with Ryland and Audrey's parents and my parents.

"Ross what's wrong?" Rydel asked.

"Where's Audrey?" Brandon asked.

"Is she alright?" Suzan asked.

I covered my face with my hands, and ran them down my face in annoyance. "No!! I'm not fine!! Audrey's not fine either!!"

I sat down in a chair and covered my eyes with my hand as I cried and my heart shatters.

"Ross.... what happened?" my Mom asked. Somebody sat next to me and started rubbing my back. I removed my hand and looked over and it was Rydel.

I took a deep breathe and exhailed stutter like. "She didn't make it through the birth...."

I pressed my lips together to stop crying, but I failed. "She slipped away from my grasp."

The tears fell from my face again. Suzan started to weep into Brandon's chest as he held her tight. Mom cried silently with Rydel.

"I'm sorry bro." Ryland said sitting in the other chair next to me.

I nodded. But I knew 'sorry' couldn't bring Audrey back. Neither would our tears and pleads to God, and neither would a happily ever fairy tale true loves kiss.