Chapter 92

Harry's POV:

She let the cold metal touch the wound and I winced.

"I'm sorry honey." She apologized and I nodded.

"Like I was saying before, I didn't want to just let you go. I wanted to bring you home. But your aunt contacted me while you were in prison and convinced me that it would be better if you stayed in America. There was nothing bad for you to do there and to be honest, not seeing me or your father is probably the best thing for you. That is why I didn't want anyone to contact you. I wanted you to realize that, oh baby. I'm sorry." She looked up at me when she heard me gasp. The glass was sliding out and it burnt like fucking hell.

"It's almost out. Just a few more seconds."

I nodded and she continued on.

"I told Gemma not to contact you or let you know what happened because I know you. You'd think I was pitying you and you'd start acting up again. But look at you now, you've met a lovely girl and your grades are outstanding. My sister tells me that you've already been approached by Rutgers in New Jersey for a part-scholarship."

"Oh yeah, I have. I forgot about that. But don't try to change the subject now. Why would you listen to her mum? Why would you just let me go like that?"

I felt a rush of cold on the wound and I realized the glass was out and now she was applying some sort of liquid on it. There was a sharp stinging, and then it was numb.

"Oh Harry, I don't know. I was desperate. If you saw how bad you had gotten... I was just so worried for you and I needed some way to protect you. I did what I thought was good for you. Pass me the cream."

I reached over and grabbed the small yellow tube and gave it to her.

"Thanks. But seriously Harry, I never meant to hurt you. I was just protecting you. It wasn't easy and it probably wasn't right, but it is what it is. I'm not asking for your forgiveness, or even for you to speak to me again. I just needed to know why I did it. Give me the gauze and then we'll be done."

"So you don't hate me?" I whispered, and I sounded like a young child again.

"No, I far from hate you. You're my only son, and I love you immensely." She smiled up at me and then I reached for the roll of gauze on the counter and handed it to her.

"Thank you. Keep still. If you move, I'll have to redo the whole thing."

I closed my eyes and forced myself to relax while she wound the material around my palm. The pain had gone down tremendously. It still hurt like hell, but it was more of a constant pain, no longer random bursts of agony.

She pushed herself to her feet and picked up the bucket. She walked over to the sink and started dumping the water out.

"Mum?"

Anne turned towards me.

"Is Gemma really going to die?"

She took a deep breath and walked back over to me.

"Yes Harry. And I'm sorry about that too. She is your sister and I should have told you sooner, but I was afraid you wouldn't be able to handle it and you might act out. I know I should have told you."

"I know mum, you were just protecting me. But why didn't you at least call? I could have done something. A bone marrow, blood transfusion. I don't know."

She shook her head and frowned.

"No, that wouldn't have helped. By the time we found out the cancer spread, it was too late. When I visited your aunt on thanksgiving, we didn't think it would have been so bad. But when I got home, we found out it had spread so quickly... If I would have known when I visiting, I would have told you then."