Chapter 27

My mother, Amy, Luke, and me spent the rest of the meal in silence, although my mom had tried to make light conversation, failing once she realized that no one was in the mood for that. Luke's mom had picked him up at the diner after the meal, so we didn't need to have us bring him home. I was glad. I didn't want my mom embarrassing me further. She had already done more than enough of that today.

We finally reached my house and my mom pulled into the side driveway. She stopped the car and did not move. I waited for some sort of explanation, but instead of reacting, she just sat there. I was going to ask her why she acting so oddly, but I had a feeling she just wanted to be alone. Had I hurt her by being so embarrassed?

Amy and I walked into the house just as my dad was shaking the hand of a man in a dark navy jumpsuit. He handed the man a check, and the man left the living room, stepping out of the front door with ease, and walked over to his white truck.

"Who was that?" I asked my father. I had a pretty good idea who it was, but I was just making sure.

"The heating guy. He fixed the air conditioner and heating in your room. I had been begging your mom for years now to call and get it done, but she had just never gotten around to it. Does thay surprise you?"

"No?" I gave him a weary look.

"Well, considering you're always teasing me about being so frugal, I would expect you to be."

I didn't say anything and he shrugged.

"Oh well. I'm going to go start dinner. Tell mom to get the chicken from the downstairs freezer. I'm thinking I'm gonna throw it in the rotisserie and making some green beans and mashed potatoes on the side."He headed towards the kitchen.

"Have fun with that." I added under my breath.

Amy met me at my side and glanced over at me. I shrugged, and then we to go back in my room to check out the new air system.

We stepped off the last step at the top of the stairs, and the whole level felt at least ten degrees warmer. I smiled, knowing I would never again have to freeze my ass off in those long winter Maine nights. I opened the door to my room took a seat on the bed. I leaned down, throwing the heels to right and then lied down flat on my back, my feet dangling off the bed.

"So, about what we were talking about this morning," Amy immediately jumped into conversation. She took a spot down next to me on the bed and looked down at me.

My hands flew to my face and I groaned. After my mother had made an utter fool out of me in front of Luke, telling Amy about her paralyzed mom wasn't exactly what I had in mind of a "relaxing afternoon".

"Can't we talk about this another time? I'm really not in the mood." I mumbled through my rough palm. I looked through two fingers to gauge her reaction.

"No." She answered flatly. I felt her yank my arm and I grunted as she was pulling me up to speak to her properly, face to face.

"Amy, I really don't want to tell you about this. I would feel terrible if anything were to happen." I avoided her small hazel eyes as I looked down at my crossed fingers.

"If you were to get... Angry."

"Angry? Why would I get angry? You've fucked up a lot lately and I've forgiven you. One more thing won't change much." She rolled her eyes playfully.

I gulped, knowing that I couldn't hold off telling her any longer. If she had somehow discovered the news from someone else, and had realized that had I known and refused to tell her, she would never want to speak to me again. I was her best friend and by some miracle she had confided in me. I didn't want to break that trust.