Chapter 67

"This is the room." Amy said.

She opened a thick white door and led me inside a blue tiled hospital room. The bed had sheets with small teddy bears on it. It was odd for an adult room but still adorable.

She walked me over to the other side of the room where her mom was staying.

Amy's mother looked much different from how I had remembered her. Her body was set in thick white wrappings, restricting her movement. Though she couldn't anyway.

Her eyes were closed and held thick purple bags beneath them. Her mouth had thick red scratches edged across the sides. From what her hands and face showed, she had lost a tremendous amount of weight. Her cheeks were sunken in and her usually golden skin was a pale, greenish white.

Good god.

Amy placed her palm on her mothers cheek, and she gradually peaked open her eyes.

"Amelia. How are you?" She croaked softly.

"Fine mom, how are you?" Amy whispered.

"I could be worse." She whispered back. Her thick Irish accent peaked through.

"Mother, that's not funny. You shouldn't be joking about your condition." Amy glared down at her mother.

"I think a sick woman can joke around if she wants. Who is this?"

Her glossy brown eyes scanned over to me. They squinted as to see who I was.

"This is Aurora. You remember Aurora don't you?"

Mrs. Henderson bobbled her head. I gave Amy a worried look.

"She wants you to come see her. She can't move below her neck remember."

"Oh."

I walked over and stepped next to Amy.

"Hello darling. How is your mother?"

I had forgot my mother was Mrs. Henderson's best friend. Why hadn't she come see her?

"She's alright. She's worried for you. You know she was planning on coming to Ireland for the service, but she couldn't get off work for it."

"Oh that's alright, being a doctor is a lot. The hours are terrible. I understand why she couldn't come. Is she coming to visit me?"

My heart sunk seeing the desperation in her auburn eyes. She had gone through so much and like every other girl in the world, no matter what age, she needed her best friend.

"Ugh, I don't know. I'm surprised she hasn't already. She probably has just been really busy." I lied for my mother.

I hate lying to such a kind person, especially after everything she is going through. The truth was my mom had plenty of time to come see her, why she hadn't come was beyond me. Maybe she was afraid? My mom was never good with confrontation or drama, much like me.

"Oh. How have you been? Amy has been telling me you met someone?"

I gasped and quickly narrowed my eyes at my best friend, trying to show my anger towards her.

"Um, yeah, I guess you can say that."

"His name is Luke and she tells me she is the son of the Hemmings? The Hemmings are a very wealthy family."

When was the last time Amy came here? I'm not even talking to Luke right now.

"Yes, me and Luke were seeing each other for a time."

She turned her head, the only part of her body able to move. Her eyebrows furrowed.

"Were?"

Why was she curious about my love life? The statement "like mother like daughter" spoke volumes to my present situation.

"Yes, were. We used to be friends in Vacation Bible School and once he transferred to our high school, we thought we could make things work. I guess we just weren't made for each other."

She breathed and started coughing. My heart began to race. Had I done something wrong? Was she dying?

Amy placed a hand on mine and I snapped in her direction.

"Aurora, it's ok. Her respiratory system isn't the best right now. Sometimes she coughs a bit. It's ok."

I let out a breath of relief, thank god.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know. I'm not used to seeing people like this."

"Looking like hell?" Amy's mother chuckled.

"Excuse me?"

Mrs. Goodman's eyes grew small crinkles at the edges as she smiled, obviously amused.

"You don't have to keep treating me like I'm some victim, the accident was just that. A accident. Nothing could have stopped it. Nobody had control over it. Don't worry."

"Yeah Aurora, it's ok." Amy joined in.

"I'm sorry. Wait, how is your family doing?"

Crap, why did I say that? Her parents just died for Christs sake. I mentally slapped myself for being so inconsiderate.

"They're ok. Getting the family business back together was a little hectic. Some of the siblings wanted a share of the money, some wanted a job at the company, some just were there just to fight. Many of my brothers and sisters love the drama, the crazy bastards. But I think we managed to work things out. Though I still don't know, I didn't get to stay for the final conversations."

She looked down at her body and laughed softly. At least she had a positive attitude about this.

"I mean owning the biggest brewery in the U.K. is a major job. I'm sure your family did what you needed to. And it's no wonder you fought over the money. You do have a lot. And considering you have like what, 10 brothers and sisters, it's gotta be a lot." I answered.

"9. We have 9. But yes we have a lot of money, and we fight a lot."

"Ain't that the bloody truth." Amy scoffed.

Mrs. Henderson gave her daughter a less-than-pleasant glare and Amy was about to return it when I woman dressed in scrubs tapped her shoulder.

"Ms. Henderson? I'm terribly sorry, but it's time to go. Visiting hours end in three minutes."

Amy's face fell and she turned back to her mother. Her face cupped around the bones her mothers sunken cheeks.

"I'll be back soon mother. I love you." She promised.

"Yes darling, I know. I love you too, and Aurora,"

I looked back from my hands and up at her.

"Please have your mother come here. I need to thank her for allowing my daughter to spend so much time with you. I owe her a tremendous amount."

"Ok, I will give her the message. Feel better."

'Feel better? What is she going to do, take a few pills and bada-bing-bada-boom all better?' The annoying girl inside my head fought me.

"I'll try." She smiled.

The nurse waited until we left and closed the massive door.

Amy walked a few feet and then fell back against the wall. Her body sunk and her face fell into her hands.

"Amy are you," I started.

"God I hate this. I really hate this." She sobbed.

I took at spot next to her. I pulled her close to me and pushed her head on my shoulder. I didn't flinch. This whole sad yet true of her asking my for comfort has becoming more and more a fucked-up routine.

"I know. I know."