Arc 3: Dandy Little Master - Arrogant and Praise-Seeking Chapter 34

Editor: SimoB

Shi Qing waved a hand in front of his nose to dispel the cloying fragrances wafting through the lavishly decorated room, but to no avail. The overwhelming smell still assaulted his senses. He could only cough twice and cover his nose with his sleeve while he browsed through the memories the System sent him.

This was a fantasy world set in imperial China.

The male lead was the Ninth Prince Yu Chennian. He started as the most pitiful member of the imperial family and rose to become the ultimate winner of the battle for the throne.

The Emperor had nine sons, of whom the most unpopular was Yu Chennian. The reason being, as per the novel, because his birth mother was just an ugly palace maid. The Emperor once forced himself on her when he was drunk and Yu Chennian was born a few months later.

To ask the Emperor, with a harem filled with three thousand beauties, to accept that fact that he went after this ugly palace maid was equivalent to asking him to accept his desire for a pig. He flew into a rage as soon as he woke up. He wanted to have the maid executed, but the kind-hearted Empress persuaded His Majesty to spare the maid's life.

As a result, the palace maid gave birth to the ninth prince. It was said that all of the lotus flowers in the palace ponds wilted the night he was born, and so the Emperor decided that Yu Chennian was a symbol of misfortune, a bad omen.

According to tradition, the mother gained honour based on the circumstances of her son. Since the palace maid gave birth to a prince, it was customary to grant her a title. However, the Emperor flat out refused to do so.

He didn't want to take a pig as his concubine.

He executed the maid who had just given birth and so the newborn Yu Chennian very quickly became motherless. Moreover, the Emperor made it clear that he did not want to see this son of his. As such no one in the palace volunteered to raise the ninth prince.

In the end, it was the Empress who had no son of her own who came forward to take this hot potato called Yu Chennian.

She was not favoured to begin with, and as Yu Chennian was believed to be unlucky, the two of them became more and more distant from the Emperor.

Then, the Empress lost her backing due to the deaths of her father and brothers in battle. She was schemed against and banished to the cold palace. Yu Chennian followed as well. The mother and son pair were given the cold shoulder by all others. While Yu Chennian was able to study in the Imperial Study, it was in no way a blessing because his five brothers would humiliate him any chance they got. Although he was the Emperor's son, even the most humble of palace servants were better off than him.

When he was a teenager, the princes entered the palace. Even here, people were happy to bully Yu Chennian. The one who targeted him the most was the Prime Minister's son.

In this dynasty, the Prime Minister was the leader of all officials. Besides, this Prime Minister also came from a traditionally aristocratic family. The Emperor treated him with more respect than his own sons. It could be said that, as long as the Prime Minister offered his support to a prince, he would be halfway to the throne.

Therefore, the Prime Minister's legitimate son naturally became someone that the princes tried to gain favor with.

The arrogant Prime Minister's son was even more addicted to mistreating Yu Chennian than the five princes. Verbal humiliation was the least he would do. He also planned out various kinds of seemingly harmless pranks that could quickly become lethal. For example, he once put a snake in Yu Chennian's table.