Part 131

Galmar yanked the letter from Jack's hand, giving Mark a challenging glare. Mark was still letting out low growls and inching closer up behind Jack. Galmar shoved Jack's wrist away from him, handing the letter off to Ulfric as he grunted out. "How do you know this Imperial scum? And more importantly, why is this welp the Dragonborn? The Greybeards should have chosen YOU!" Ulfric accepted the letter, examining the seal. Looking up at Jack with guarded eyes, Ulfric answered with a casual fascination. "He was destined for the chopping block if I'm not mistaken." Mark stopped growling. Jack didn't flinch, he kept his eyes on Ulfric. Ulfric let a small smirk pull up the corner of his lip, before popping open the seal and adding out confidently. "I'm assuming the Greybeards had their reasons. It's not my place to question it. After all, not everyone can say they made it out of Helgen. I often wonder... The dragon that attacked. Was it yours? Was awfully convenient that it attacked right before you met the executioner's axe."

Jack squared his shoulders trying hard not to say anything. He didn't want to give away anything that Ulfric might use in his war. Mark narrowed his eyes on Ulfric, asking curiously. "What are you implying by accusing him of that?" Galmar shot Mark an offended glare, but Ulfric simply stated out without a care. "I'm always looking for able fighters. A man that can tame dragons... Now, that's a man of true value to me. A man I'd want among my ranks. I'd even pay them well for it. So long as your criminal past stays in the past, and you fight for me with honor and integrity." Galmar looked over Mark, asking him with his own accusing curiosity. "What of you, Nord? Where does your allegiance stand? As a son of Skyrim, your place should be here with us." Mark opened his mouth to say something, but Jack cut everyone off to state aloud in a voice of authority. "We are here as neutral parties. Not to join any side, but simply deliver the message. Now will you heed the call or not?"

Ulfric stepped closer to Jack, looking down at him from his full height to say bluntly in a dark voice. "A little advice, Dragonborn. Don't lower yourself to a delivery boy. It only makes you look weak." Jack stared up into Ulfric's eyes, stating out just as coolly. "I didn't come here for them. This was my idea. And I came to see it through." Ulfric grunted, unfolding the letter as he stepped back away from Jack, expressing to Galmar firmly. "It's about time they turned their gaze from the heavens and back to our bleeding homeland." Galmar nodded in agreement. For a moment, Ulfric paced before the throne, reading through the contents of the letter in silence. Jack watched his face closely trying to read his features. Ulfric was certainly a hard man to read. He showed no emotion while reading the letter. Then stopping, he folded the letter back up, telling them honestly. "I have the greatest respect for the Greybeards, of course. And these dragon attacks are a growing plague on my efforts."

Jack saw it coming and braced himself for the downside. While Mark asked him hopefully. "So, you'll agree to go then?" Ulfric slowly turned to face them with a stony expression on his face, retorting swiftly. "But the political situation is still delicate. Not all the Jarls are fully committed to supporting me as High King. I can't afford to appear weak. I can't agree to this unless Tullius himself will be there." Mark groaned in frustration, snapping out bitterly. "For fucks sake! This is a summon from the Greybeards! You're not a Nord if you don't go!" Ulfric's attitude instantly changed to a darker one, his deep voice bellowing out a powerful pulse of power. "Think before you speak. I would like nothing more than to heed the summon. But I must consider that this is merely a trap. A distraction. Something to get me out of the way, while Tullius sets something into place. I will NOT give an inch to my enemy!" Jack stepped into Ulfric's line of sight fearlessly. If Ulfric was going to use his Thu'um on Mark, he'd have to get through HIM first.

Ulfric's body was as tense as an angry bear, when he sneered out through his clenched teeth. "You heard my terms. Now get out of my palace. Or you'll leave in pieces." Jack stared down Ulfric without fear of his Thu'um. He could sense it was strong, but Ulfric was right. Showing fear was only going to lose him his respect. So, staring him down, he sneered back at him in a challenging manner. "Politics be damned! Alduin has returned. You don't help me get rid of him and you'll be fighting over a graveyard! You wanna watch him burn your homeland to ash and the last thing you hear to be the screams of your people?!" Ulfric still stood as tense as ever, but his expression turned suddenly concerned. Jack didn't stop there; he pointed a stern finger at Ulfric as he yelled out aggressively. "Let me tell you something, Jarl. I don't give a Skewer's arse about you or General Tullius! My only concern is saving Skyrim so I can go home! I'm so fucking done with all of you! You claim to have Skyrim in mind, but I'm doing this all by MYSELF!"