Part 87

They made their way south, following the road that bordered The Pale. The road was beautiful. As cold as it was, there was no wind. Allowing Jack to take in the warmth of the sun as he admired the scenery. Up ahead, Mark slowed Tim down enough to ride beside him. Mark was silent for a moment, then he reluctantly told him. "I've been thinking about what you said. I hate to admit it... but you might be right." Jack brushed his green bangs away from his eyes, playfully teasing out. "Oh, no... If you're agreeing with me, than the world must really be coming to an end." Mark shot him a guarded look, before uttering out under his breath. "Just listen. You've never gone up against the likes of Miraak. Knowing more about him... It may give you an advantage." Jack eyed Mark closely without saying anything. Mark inhaled deeply, then continued on more clearly. 

"No one has seen Miraak for centuries. It's even possible that he has more power over his Thu'um than you do... So, I think we should prepare ourselves to face him." Jack straightened up in his seat, finally understanding where he was going with this. Mark removed a letter from his pocket and handed it off to him, telling him coolly. "This is how we'll get the blood you need." Jack unfolded the paper to read it to himself. It was a bounty letter that read; 'By order of Jarl Skald 'The Elder' of Dawnstar. To all able bodied and fearless men and women of the The Pale. A group of bandits have been harassing, robbing and attacking citizens and travelers along the borders of The Pale. A reward will be offered to anyone that kills their leader. Signed, Jarl Skald." Jack looked up at Mark, asking curiously. "Where did you get this?" Mark took the letter back to pocket it, answering honestly. "At the inn. I asked the innkeeper if he knew of any bandits that had... Elves and Orcs."

Jack shifted uncomfortably in his saddle, mumbling out. "This one did then." Mark nodded, then quickly added in. "This group of bandits killed one of the farmers on their way up to Dawnstar. They stole all his goods... What he had left after his house burned down from a dragon attack. The man's friend was at the bar. He watched them gut his friend... just to steal his horse. They've been raiding like that for months. So... Their blood will do." Jack nodded, but said nothing. The situation made him feel weird. He wanted to just ask around for blood donors... It hadn't occurred to him to kill someone for it. Up ahead was an over turned cart and the body of a farmer. In the snow were foot prints that depicted the signs of a struggle. Jack pulled his horse to a stop. Mark looked at a set of hoof prints leading off the road, telling Jack seriously. "Stay here. Give me the extractor and I'll be back."

Jack shook his head, but Mark turned a hardened look at him. Extending his hand out for the essence extractor, he told him confidently. "There isn't that many of them. I'll be quicker by myself. I'll be in and out." Jack reluctantly handed him the extractor, watching him trot off in the direction of the hooves. He didn't like the idea of Mark going off alone, but Mark was more than capable of handling himself. Steering Agro off the road, Jack dismounted to stretch his legs. Pulling up his hood up to hide his hair, he leaned against the tree by the road for a bit. Waiting made him anxious. He didn't know when Mark would be back and he didn't want to think about if he didn't. So, he found a way to distract himself. Taking out his horse brush, he started combing Agro's long black tail. Agro relished the attention from him. With her tail and mane combed out, he moved in to check her hooves.

Putting his shoulder under her leg, he lifted her hoof back. Clawing the dirt and hard snow from her hoof, he chatted with her sweetly. "Look at ya. You managed to get dirt under your nails... What am I going to do with ya." Agro nickered and Jack chuckled to himself. Moving to her back leg, he felt her weight shift onto his shoulder a bit, before she lifted her foot. All her hooves were dirty, but easily cleaned. Finishing up, he used snow to wash his hands, telling her sweetly. "Feel better? Now I got dirt under my nails." Agro brushed her nose across his face and out of habit, he kissed her. Her warm breath felt good and her nose was soft to the touch. He removed a carrot from his bag and let her snack on it, when Tim crested the hill. Tim was riderless. Tim trotted down the hill and Jack started to panic. Where was Mark?! Rushing to Agro's side, he mounted up.