Part 2

The carriage came to a complete stop in what appeared to be a courtyard in the center of the keep, and Jack would have liked nothing more than for it to keep moving.  To delay this carriage of death a bit longer.  He wanted to keep hoping that he'd find a way out of this.  That everything would work itself out... but what could possibly save him from this?  The only person he knew in Skyrim was Mark... and he wasn't in Helgen.  He had never been a praying man... but he hoped the Gods & Goddesses still had use for him.  It was a long shot, but the only hope he had.  The nord across from him straightened up proudly, telling everyone encouragingly.  "Let's go. Shouldn't keep the gods waiting for us".  Just then an imperial soldier strolled up to the back of the carriage, grabbing the thief by the arm to pull him down to the ground as the thief told the soldier utterly terrified.  "No! Wait! We're not rebels"!  The nord across from him stood up, telling the thief confidently.  "Face your death with some courage, thief".  Beside him, Ulfric stood up and hopped down from the carriage.  He didn't appear to fear death at all.  Jack's body felt numb as he forced himself to stand up and scuff his feet to the edge of the carriage. 

He could jump down... but he was having trouble telling his body to move.  The nord passed proudly beside him and jumped down, but Jack felt frozen.  He didn't want to move.  An imperial soldier approached him, reaching for his arm to encourage him out... but Jack just stared back at him with pleading eyes.  He really shouldn't be here... but no one was going to believe him.  The imperial soldier grabbed his arm firmly.  His fingers digging hard into the muscle of Jack's arm as he carefully pulled him off the carriage to the ground.  Jack's feet hit the ground, but slightly buckled under him.  He felt so numb everywhere.  Soldiers surrounded the entire courtyard.  Watching them all with cold eyes.  For them this war was about to come to an end.  The imperial soldier helped keep Jack on his feet as he lined up behind the others.  The thief half turned to face the nord standing behind him, pleading with him desperately.  "You've got to tell them! We weren't with you! This is a mistake"! 

Two imperial soldiers approached the front of their line.  One was a woman.  A redguard, Jack assumed from her thick accent as she called out loudly to them.  "Step towards the block when we call your name! One at a time"!  Beside her was a man.  A dark haired nord.  He was flipping through the pages of a book in his hand and quickly jotting something down in it with his quill.  Jack felt tiny standing behind Ulfric.  The man had to be at least six foot tall!  That was common among nords, but it didn't make Jack feel any less uneasy.  Beside him the nord mumbled bitterly to himself.  "Empire loves their damn lists".  A small flicker of hope tugged at his heart.  The list!  He wouldn't be on it!  He wasn't a wanted man!  He just might make it out of this!  Jack's heart fluttered like he had butterflies in his chest, but on the outside... he was still sweating his fears of the block.  The imperial soldier holding the book, lifted his head a moment to call aloud distastefully.  "Ulfric Stormcloak. Jarl of Windhelm".  Ulfric straightened proudly in front of Jack, before strolling over to the block.  The imperial soldier who had been supporting Jack, moved off silently after Ulfric.  Judging by the way that soldier gripped his sword hilt, Jack assumed they were probably expecting something to happen.  A rebel rescue maybe? 

Beside him, the nord told Ulfric proudly as he moved toward the line for the block.  "It has been an honor, Jarl Ulfric".  Jack shivered from the cold chill that drifted by.  He couldn't tell if it was from Skyrim's cold climate, or Ulfric's leave.  Something about the man just set Jack's teeth on edge.  Jack quickly turned his gaze back to the imperial soldier with the book.  The soldier marked something off, then lifted his head to call out casually.  "Ralof of Riverwood".  Beside him, the nord proudly strolled off toward the line for the block in silence.  Jack understood dying for what you believed in... but he didn't see war as something to stand behind so proudly.  It was always nothing more than a pissing fight between two spoiled high borns.  A fight that only killed the lower classes forced to fight for them on their behalf.  He couldn't see himself picking a side even if he knew what this war was about.  The world was cruel enough without nobles bitching about who has a bigger sword.