Part 42

As the carriage rocked along the path, Jack stared at the invitation.  Reading every detail he could.  The more he knew about the party and people the better.  The invitation simply read; 'Elenwen, First emissary of the Aldmeri Dominion to the Kingdom of Skyrim requests the pleasure of the company of Sean S. Septiceye at a reception on 16 Frostfall, 201 at the Ambassador's residence. Regrets only. Formal attire requested'.  Jack folded the invitation back up.  Mark had told him that the mages of Winterhold collage kept to themselves.  That Nords didn't like them.  Maybe he could play off that angle if he had too.  The Thalmor might love the idea that the collage might take an interest in their dealings against Nords.  Jack looked up to watch the snow fall, when his green bangs drifted into his eyes from the soft breeze.  Jack pulled at his bangs.  Green.  This alone would draw attention to him. 

No noble he had ever met had colored hair.  Glancing nervously at the driver, whos only concern was the road.  Jack whispered a simple alteration spell as he brushed his hand through his bangs, causing the green to turn back to his normal brown.  The spell wouldn't hold forever, but he just needed it to hold long enough to get through the party.  The carriage crested the steep hill and passed by a disgruntled Redguard man.  As the carriage pulled into a open spot among many other carriages, the Redguard man walked up to Jack, muttering in a slightly drunken state.  "Ah! Another late attendee. And arriving by carriage, I see. I salute you good man".  Jack carefully stepped down from the carriage and gave the man a warm smile to which he returned.  The Redguard patted Jack's arm with enough force that it would have knocked over any true noble. 

Jack guessed from the look and strength of the man, that he wasn't just some noble, but a war veteran.  The man's left eye was faded a bit and a scar went from it to his chin.  Which Jack also guessed was why the man had already been drinking.  To numb out some kind of pain.  Mental or physical.  The man sank down onto a large snow covered rock to catch his breath as he told Jack lightheartedly.  "My lateness is due to getting lost on this gods forsaken mountain, then any real desire to arrive late. I prefer to arrive early. Often the day before the party. I've just got to rest a bit. It's cold up here. I don't look forward to going back down".  Jack adjusted his silk green robes and jeweled necklace, before extending a hand out to the man.  When the man shook his firmly, Jack told him respectfully.  "My names Sean. Have you attended these parties before"? 

The man grunted, answering.  "The names Razelan. Nice to met ya, Sean. And ya... a few. I'm a trading business man with the East Empire Company. Though I mostly just come here for the drinks. Yourself"?  Jack opened his mouth feeling suddenly ill at ease.  He knew this would happen.  He was saved from answering though as a Thalmor guard called out to them.  "I must insist that you both go inside. Elenwen won't like the idea that some of her guests are loitering outside, when the party has already begun".  Razelan waved a dismissive hand at the female guard, grumbling out.  "Alright. We're coming. Jeez, these parties are always so damn stuffy".  Jack gave the man a smirk and slowly approached the guard standing by the stairs.  She extended a hand out to him, asking softly.  "Welcome to the Thalmor Embassy. Your invitation, please"? 

Straightening up confidently, Jack casually handed her his invitation.  She opened it up, her eyes scanning over the paper.  Jack let himself panic on the inside.  Hoping that Delphine's forger was really good at their job.  Otherwise, could he pull off being unaware of the situation?  The female guard suddenly folded up the invitation and handed it back, telling him respectfully.  "Thank you, sir. Everything appears to be in order. Enjoy the party".  Jack gave her a simple nod and started up the steps, when he stopped.  If he entered alone than all eyes would turn onto him.  However, if he went in with someone.  No one would really think twice about it.  Turning to wait for Razelan, Jack couldn't help but smile.  He liked Razelan.  He seemed like a good guy.