Part 26

Jack rubbed his throat perplexed.  Had that really come out of him?  Mark cautiously moved closer to place a hand on his shoulder.  The look on Mark's face was a bit troubling.  He looked worried.  Jack shot quick glances at the guards standing around.  Keenly aware of their rattled comments on this sudden turn of events.  One of the guards turned to another, gasping out.  "Did you see that"?  Another guard briskly approached Irileth, telling her a bit horrified.  "Could the legend be true? Has the dragonborn returned to us"?  Irileth frowned at the guard, just as another pointed a finger at Jack yelling out.  "Of course the legend is true! Didn't you see? He sucked out that dragon's soul! He shouts in their tongue"!  Mark's grip tightened on Jack's shoulder.  Jack could tell Mark was getting worried as he eyed the crowd with sharp eyes.  Another guard stepped closer toward Jack, stating loudly.  "Everybody hold on a moment! This isn't a good thing! Don't you people remember what happened with the last dragonborn?! What if this guy does the same thing? We can't afford that disaster again"! 

Mark's hand dropped from Jack's shoulder to quickly pick up his sword.  He was getting ready to fight!  Jack felt completely lost.  What was even happening?  Irileth stepped closer to Mark to draw the attention of the crowd as she snapped out.  "ENOUGH! Look, I don't know about any of this dragonborn business. Let us all just be thankful that he is on our side".  The guard from before pointed a stern finger at Irileth, snapping out loudly for all the guards to hear.  "Sure, he is for now! Miraak was on our side too at the start! That didn't stop him from switching sides during the great dragon war! Why would this one be any different"?!  The guard turned to face the guards, adding out bitterly.  "Just look at him! He's not a nord! He's a MAGE! All mages crave is power! Dragons are nothing, but sources of power! It's just a matter of time before he turns on us for them"!  The guards all suddenly began to nod and murmur with worried voices. 

Mark pointed his blade toward the crowd, telling them all sternly.  "Miraak was a mad man! He was on nobodies side but his own! How can you punish someone for a crime he hasn't done? Did you ever once think that maybe your own hatred and paranoia would be the thing to turn him against you"?!  The preachy guard turned around to face Mark, smugly stating.  "All the more reason that I think he should be locked away. We need to know more about this... dragonborn, before he reaches his full potential".  Vaughn began to laugh loudly, causing everyone to turn to him suspiciously.  Vaughn took a long swig from his bottle of mead, before stating aloud nonchalantly.  "The guy kills a dragon... sucks out its soul... sneezes so hard the trees rustle... and ya'll want to put him in a cell? By the nine, who are you going to get to guard him? Talos"?  Vaughn broke out in drunken snickers as he added flushed.  "So, he can yell a fancy word... So can Ulfric. Does that make him a dragonborn too? Or wait... What if I'm the dragonborn and I just don't know it"?! 

The guards all began to walk away with either soft chuckles or simply shaking their heads.  Vaughn raised his hands trying to draw them back as he drunkenly called after them.  "Now hang on! I might be onto somethin' here! I once let one go that rattled the privy once! It's no sneeze but it was lethal! Ask anyone in the lower district"!  Mark lowered his sword trying to hide his smirk as Irileth told him defensively.  "I'm going to stay here and settle things down. I need you two to head back and inform the Jarl on everything that has happened".  Mark nodded, reaching back for Jack's hand only to discover he wasn't there.  Whirling around, Mark sighed with relief.  Jack was in the middle of trying to retrieve his sword from Mirmulnir's skull.  Leaning back out of the large eye hole, Jack holstered his sword.  Irileth gripped her sword tightly as she passed by him, telling him simply.  "For your sake, I hope you're not the dragonborn. This land has enough problems". 

Jack watched her head back toward the tower.  That comment had cut him deeper than he ever thought it would.  A moment ago she was impressed by his actions, but now she seemed... put off by them.  What had changed?  Was being a dragonborn that frightening?  Mark took his wrist and quickly lead him back toward the horses.  Mark pulled him like he was in a rush.  He wanted to ask him what had him so spooked, but he just didn't look like he was in a talkative mood.  Mounting up, Mark turned Tim toward Whiterun and nudged him into a gallop.  Jack tightened his grip on Argo's reins and nudged him on to do the same.  They had just reached the Whiterun stables, when the sky crackled like lightening and thunder roared so loud that it caused the horses to rear in fright!  Jack tried to keep Argo calm as he spun in a circle searching for the sudden threat.  The sky looked clear, but the unmistakable sound of a thunder storm was raging overhead!  When from amongst the rumbling thunder, a group of elderly voices rang out over the land loud and clear in complete unison.  Uttering just a single word for practically the whole world to hear.  "DO-VAH-KIIN"!