Part 62

Mark stepped closer to the table, looking from Jack to the sword. Jack put a hesitant hand on Mark's chest. He didn't want Mark to get too close to it. Mark placed a warm hand over his, holding it against his warm chest. Jack's breath caught in his throat as Mark took hold of Dragonbane's hilt and lifted it carefully off the wooden stand. Jack watched the light glint off the blade and tried to step back, but Mark kept his hand firmly against his chest. Mark extended the blade out for Jack to take and Jack shook his head. He didn't want it. Mark lowered the blade toward the floor, telling Jack soothingly. "Jack, It's just a sword. It is only as evil as the person who wields. It can't harm anyone on its own". Jack glanced down at the sword, mumbling out. "Mark... It's a dragon killer... I can't-". Mark curled the blade back along his arm as he held out the hilt for Jack to take, saying seriously. "So it is. Just like any weapon you carry, Jack. It's not just about the lives you take with it, but the ones you spare". 

Jack started to reach for it. Only to hesitate moments before his fingers touched it. He could feel the powerful enchantment pulsing from the blade. It was entirely built to cut into a dragons hide like a hot knife through butter. Mark pulled Jack's hand up off his chest to kiss the back of it, whispering to him tenderly. "Akatosh wants you to have it, Jack. He wouldn't have lead you here, if you couldn't control the power of it. Take it. Even if you never use it. Keep it from those that would for the wrong reasons. Do you understand"? Jack glanced back at the doorway, listening to Delphine disagree with Esbern about something. Mark had a point. If he didn't take it... Delphine would and he doubted that she'd hesitate to use it on every dragon she came across.

Turning his eyes back on the hilt, Jack took a deep breath and wrapped his fingers around the handle. His fingers brushed over Mark's as he took ahold of it, filling him with reassurance. Even the fear of the dragon souls within him seemed to calm down. Looking into Mark's eyes, he told him seriously. "I see your point. I guess, it is safer with us". Mark released his grip on the blade, putting his hand on Jack's shoulder, replying warmly. "It's safer with you. I'll just help you carry it, when the burden gets too great". Mark squeezed his shoulder then, leaning into him a bit. "Come on. Let's find a place to get some sleep. We got a long day ahead of us tomorrow". Jack followed Mark up the stone steps of the temple to the second floor. Exploring around in the dark halls until they came across what appeared to be an old barracks room.

The room was circular with straw cots spread out along the rounded walls. Each cot had a chest at the foot of the bed. Mark even opened a few and found that some were even still filled with armor and supplies. Jack closed the lid to a chest that Mark was holding open. Mark looked up at him questionably, but Jack just shifted uncomfortably. This place made him feel... restless. He didn't know what kind of people these 'Akaviri' were. Were they whipped out? Or did they move on after they lost their Dragonborn? These questions haunted him. His cautious nature was getting the best of him. Mark dropped his travel bag on top of the chest, before cupping Jack's shoulders. Jack couldn't look him in the eyes. He felt silly for being so paranoid. Some 'mighty Dragonborn' he was.

Mark's arms slid down his arms to his wrists, while pressing his lips to the tips of his ear. Jack flinched with a smirk. The sensation tickled a little. Mark pulled him closer, nibbling on the slight point of his ear playfully. Jack tried to lightly resist it, but he loved the warm feeling that poured into him. After his brief nibble, Mark whispered lovingly into his ear with a deep purring voice. "Don't get lost in that head of yours, Jack. I can't follow you there. Stay out here with me". Jack stepped in to lean into Mark's warm chest, resting his head on Mark's shoulder. Mark's arms wrapped around him in a protective embrace that calmed Jack's racing thoughts. For a long moment, Mark just held him close. Then Jack felt Mark pulling at the straps of his iron armor, letting the pieces fall heavily to the stone floor.