Part 90

Jack stood in place, watching Mark closely. He wasn't sure if Mark was in the mood to play, but he was. Mark pushed Dragonbane down with his sword, until the tip of Dragonbane's blade was grazing the snow. Mark then reached out with his free hand to touch the katana hilt, informing him in a teaching voice. "The first thing you have to do is put both hands on the blade." Jack gripped the hilt like Mark showed him and frowned with discomfort. It didn't feel right. He was used to having his hands multitasking. To have them both doing the same thing felt... awkward. Mark smirked at his expression, telling him more personally. "You'll have to get used to it if you want to use it properly. Otherwise, you'll have a greater risk of loosing it." Jack snorted, muttering out. "No one ever took Green Glory from me." Mark raised Green Glory up, stating seriously. "Green Glory is a short sword. It doesn't need the same skill to wield as a longsword like Dragonbane." 

Jack rolled his eyes. He didn't see a damn difference. Long or short, a blade was a blade. Mark let out a heavy sigh, muttering out. "Alright, smartass. I'll prove it. Wield Dragonbane with one hand." Jack grinned, taking his normal fighting stance. Mark was trained in weapons, but Jack was confident that he could move faster. Mark swung Green Glory to loosen his wrist, then took up his stance. Jack knew from old sparring lessons that Mark never made the first move. Mark couldn't teach him anything if he always went first. So, Jack gripped his hilt tight and made the first move. Swinging Dragonbane up and across toward Mark's chest. Mark easily blocked the swing and looped Green Glory's blade around Dragonbane's to disarm him with ease. Dragonbane slipped from his grip and puffed into a mound of snow nearby. For added effect, Mark pointed Green Glory at Jack's chest, telling him seriously. "Your hilt is longer. If you don't grip it properly, it will work against you. Try again and this time... Grip it the right way."

Jack moved to pick up Dragonbane out of the snow mound. Flicking the snow off it, Jack reluctantly gripped it with both hands. Centering the blade in front of him like he had seen Mark do a thousand times, he raised the sword to attack him again. Mark stepped back from him, then blocked. Mark worked slightly harder to wrap the blade like he had before, but this time was surprisingly different. Their blades locked up and it became a feat of strength. Mark could have easily out muscled him, but he was only trying to prove a point. Mark kept their blades locked, informing him clearly. "See? You've got more control over your blade, than I do of mine. While I have to relay on the strength of my single hand to do this. You are able to use the strength of both of your hands to counter me. So, disarm me." Jack tried, but couldn't. Frustrated, he snapped out. "I can't. You're stronger than I am..."

Mark reached out with his free hand to grab the front of Jack's tunic, pulling him up to him. Jack leaned back with a worried look. How did getting closer help him? Mark used his free hand to show him, informing him sweetly. "Don't forget that a fight doesn't have to just be a battle between blades. You can't get free. So, think on your feet. Don't worry about the blade and focus on me. Your sword only works to keep a foe at a distance. When that fails. You have to get personal. Find a way to get your jabs in. It's a fight. Use what you know to hurt your foe, before he hurts you." Jack took in the scene, then smirked. He got it. He could blast Mark back with a Shout to dislodge him, or he could try physical attacks on him. To show Mark that he got it, he quickly removed his hand to conjure his candlelight spell. Mark jerked his head back as it rose between them. The spell was harmless. A distraction. Mark stared at it confused for a second and Jack kicked the back of Mark's knee.

Mark fell down to a knee, loosening his grip on Dragonbane. Jack yanked Dragonbane in to touch the blunt end to Mark's neck. From here, he could pull his blade out over Mark's shoulder and across the vein in his neck easily. Mark stared up at him with a proud smile. Jack carefully removed Dragonbane away from Mark, playfully smirking out. "How about we stop babying each other? I can't learn if you don't come at me with all you've got." Mark rose to his feet, rolling his shoulders as he mumbled out. "I was trying to make you feel powerful." Jack slid into his fighting stance, holding Dragonbane with both hands as he told him seriously. "No more going easy on me, Mark. I think I can handle myself. Make your move." Mark tapped his boot with Green Glory's blade, warning him with concern. "I don't think this is wise. You barely know how to wield that sword. I don't want to hurt you."