Part 43

Jack crouched low, staying close to the wall.  If he was lucky than he could sneak around unnoticed.  High Elves usually thought of themselves as superior beings.  They wouldn't be expecting anyone to have the balls to sneak around.  Which even he had to admit that he never would have himself, until now.  Even with all the magic he knew, it would never be as strong as a High Elves abilities.  Their DNA just had a stronger connection then other races, except for maybe the Bretons.  Jack crept up to the first door, listening to a man tell someone suspiciously.  "Did you see those robes march in this morning? Who're they with? More of the Emissary's treaty enforcers"?  Another voice that sounded more feminine, answered dryly.  "I hear, they are here about the dragon problem". 

The male voice sounded almost relieved as he replied.  "Ah, good. I've been wondering how we're suppose to defend this place from a dragon".  Jack turned his gaze from the empty hall to the door, listening even harder.  The feminine voice, chided out hopefully as she said.  "If a dragon does show up, maybe we'll get lucky and it will eat the mages first. Might give us enough time to kill it".  They shared a brief chuckle, while Jack frowned.  Either they were talking about the mages at the collage, or they had no magic themselves.  Jack risked a peek around the open door to see they were two Thalmor soldiers.  Both were wearing a full set of light golden armor, but he could only see the man with a steel blade at his hip.  The female guard stood behind a counter making him unsure what she was carrying. 

The man patted the counter, telling the woman sweetly.  "Well, I better get back to my post now. See you after"?  The woman rolled her eyes, but gave him a smirk.  Jack watched them closely.  This might be his chance.  The man turned, walking away toward a hallway at the back of the room.  While the woman, straightened up behind the counter.  As the man vanished down the hallway, the woman moved toward a table to grab a piece of cheese from a plate.  Jack felt torn, but didn't have time to think.  He had to act fast or lose his chance.  Slipping into the room, Jack slowly crept up behind her.  He had lost his dagger in the fight with Mirmulnir, but flexing his fingers, he silently casted the spell for a bound dagger.  Jack dreaded this part.  She probably didn't deserve this... but he couldn't risk her alerting anyone. 

Standing up, Jack quickly covered her mouth, pulling her back against his chest as he brought the dagger around to slide the blade across her throat.  Jack held her firmly as her hands grabbed his arm in pure terror, before they fell limply to her sides.  Jack kept his eyes on the wall, until she fell silently.  Then he carefully set her down in a chair at the table.  He didn't want her armor hitting the floor to alert anyone close by.  So, he set her up to look like she fell asleep at the table.  Jack felt terrible about it, but would she have spared him if the roles were reversed?  Crouching low again, Jack crept off soundlessly toward the far wall.  Pressing himself against the wall to peek out into the hallway where the man had left.  Jack bit his lip nervously.  He could just barely see the mans armored arm sticking out from the wall farther down.  The guard must have been leaning against the wall.  His back was turned to Jack. 

Jack crept down the hall, listening to every sound and feeling like he was going to be caught any second.  When he was close enough to the guard, Jack held his breath.  His grip tightened on his bound dagger and he slowly rose up.  The guard sniffled softly and Jack quickly sank his blade into the mans neck at an awkward angle.  The guard reached for his neck in shock, trying to say something out loud, but his voice was too raspy from the wound to reach anyone.  The man fell to his knees, before falling forward across the floor.  His armor clanking loudly against the cement floor.  Jack froze, his whole body waiting to hear movement or voices.  Nothing.  Letting himself sigh in silent relief, Jack propped the guard up into a slumped sleeping position against the wall.  He hoped that anyone passing might find a sleeping guard less suspicious, than just a dead body on the floor.