Part 32

The light streaming in from the slit in the deep purple curtains, woke Jack.  Shifting a little, Jack grinned.  Mark's arm was draped over his back.  Beside him, Mark was still sleeping.  Jack loved seeing him like this.  He couldn't explain it.  Mark just looked so handsome and calm.  Jack bit his lower lip and playfully booped Mark's nose with his finger.  Mark continued to sleep on, blissfully unaware.  Jack did his best to suppress his chuckle.  Carefully slipping off the bed and out from under Mark's heavy arm, Jack stood up to stretch.  He'd let Mark sleep awhile longer.  He'd just step out to get them some breakfast and check on Argo.  Grabbing his cloak and sword, Jack slipped silently from the room.  Walking down the wooden steps, Jack placed an order with the Tavern nord named Wilhelm and even bought a few carrots.  Wilhelm handed Jack the carrots and told him in a tired voice.  "Your food will take a few minutes". 

Jack nodded to the man with a smile, before taking the carrots outside.  Outside the Inn, Tim and Argo stood patiently.  Tim looked to be asleep on his feet.  While Argo nibbled on some tall grass by his feet.  Jack walked up to the railing they were both tied to, reaching out to stroke Argo's neck.  Argo lifted his head and Jack held out one of the carrots for him, whispering to him softly.  "You ok, buddy? Looks like you got out of the lake alright".  Jack hesitantly moved around Argo to the side the dragon had hit with its tail.  There were a few red scars along his body from the ordeal, but they weren't very deep.  Argo turned his head to stare at him and Jack hugged his long nose, petting him gently as he said.  "I'm sorry, buddy. I'll fix you up".  Releasing Argo, Jack went from scar to scar casting the spell for Healing. 

When he finished, Jack patted Argo's leg, telling him sweetly.  "There. Do you feel better"?  Argo's answered by quickly snatching another carrot from Jack's hand.  Jack chuckled, moving around him to look over Tim, replying smugly.  "You seem to at least have an appetite. So, I'll take that as a yes".  Tim's sleepy eyes turned to check out what Argo was eating and his eyes grew wide.  Tim tried to snatch some of the green leaves hanging out of Argo's mouth, but Argo simply raised his head high out of reach.  Tim shifted angrily, snorting loudly at Argo.  Jack quickly held out a carrot for him to see and he almost took his fingers with it!  Jack exhaled nervously, telling Tim sternly.  "For fucks sake! Calm down! I got enough for both of you"! 

After taking care of the horses, Jack made his way back inside the Inn.  This time there was a guard talking loudly to Wilhelm.  The guard lifted his mug of ale, telling Wilhelm excitedly.  "I'm tellin' ya the truth! I just came from there. The Jarl wants to 'see' him. The people there claim they saw him shout the dragon off a roof! Then this same man sucked out its soul! They are calling him a hero".  Wilhelm huffed sarcastically, snapping back dryly.  "Some hero. I bet the dragon was after HIM! Besides, you can't trust anything the people in Riften say. They are all liars and thieves".  Jack quickly flipped up the hood to his cloak as casually as he could.  He didn't want to draw attention to himself... but his hair would most likely do that anyway. 

The guard took a swig from his mug, replying sourly.  "I'd love to disagree with you, but I was there. I saw the dragon bones myself. Helgen and Whiterun were attacked too. They say that the Dragonborn was present for both. It would be safe to say that wherever he goes... They seem to follow".  Wilhelm chuckled, refilling the guards mug as he asked the guard sarcastically.  "What are they saying about him? I'm sure Ulfric will be so flattered.  Provided that he doesn't get eaten by a dragon first"!  The guard shook his head solemnly, stating aloud.  "No. No. No. Ya got it all wrong. The Dragonborn isn't Ulfric. It's another guy. He's not even a Nord".  Jack tried to make his way silently toward the stairs.  He had to wake Mark.  They had to leave.  He was right.  The word was spreading fast.  Wilhelm chuckled distastefully, asking aloud.  "Oh, is that right? Then I guess every Jarl will want the bastard as their new Thane.  While Ulfric and Tullius piss it out to win his favor, eh? What does this new 'Dragonborn' even look like then"?  The guard answered just as Jack was reaching the steps.  "They say he is a scrawny lad. Mage type. Has this strip of green hair on his head and rides a scrawny nag. Kinda like the one ya got outside".