"Give him to me." Cerastes said reaching for the baby.

"Hes still eating." I said.

Dante and Talon left the room following behind their father. Talon sent back a final glare at Cerastes before ducking out of the room while Dante didnt even offer a second glance in his general direction.

If we had been in my Villiage, I couldnt help but think this would have been a better experience. Instead of thrown to the wall he would have been congratulated. Gifts would have been given to the parents and compliments to the baby. 

"Its not something that can wait. He will eat when we come back." He said pulling him from my grasp.

"I'll go with you." I said uncovering my legs.

"No. It's not a place you are allowed to be." He shook his head.

"Why not? If my son is going I should go to." I argued. Wiping the sweat from my brow.

He wrapped the child in the blanket with delicate care and held him to his bare chest. Only his little head and little black tail poked out each end.

"We will be back soon." He replied.

Just after he walked out Zin came in.

"Zin where did you go?" I asked in exasperation.

"The high lord must be notified of the birth, young miss. It was my privilege to inform him." She bobbed her head with a smile. Every graying hair was bound tightly in a single bun.

I had thought that those three had heard the baby being born and entered but it had been Zin who had brought them in. She clapped her hands and two other maids entered the room. Nina the burly older maid with the cropped hair and Dina the frail looking younger maid.

"Let's get her cleaned up." Zin said cheerfully. "We have a big day ahead of us."

I didnt see how much bigger the day could be but I didnt argue with her.
With Cerastes gone they were down right chatty compared to the silence that they maintained when Cerastes was around. The furniture returned to its normal spaces, it was no longer a barricade. The fireplace was cleaned out without a blessing for the wind spirit. Blankets and waste were carried out but the weirdest part was that they began to pack up our personal items. Not that there were very many.

"What are you doing?" I asked Dina.

"Were preparing for the move of courssse." She whispered.

"What moving?" I asked.

"Your moving, young miss." Zin laughed, ushering me to the couch. "We'll be ready soon please wait here."

"We have to wait for my husband to come back." I told her.

"Now young miss, you should address him properly, the young master will be a young lord now. He will be a recognized as an official offspring of the high lord you will have to call him by the proper title, yes." She smiled clamping her hands together with finality.

She completely ignored the shock on my face. Cerastes had been a near constant companion these past few months and in that time he allowed the maids to attend to things but they hardly spoke in his presence. Was this what they were actually like.

"Cerastes is my husband, how I address him is between us." I said showing off the white tattoos on my arm. Proof of our bonding.

"Miss Rowan we all live to serve our masters and have our purposes." She spoke like a caring aunt but her facial expression seemed off, an inflexible sternness was underneath her smiling face. " your purpose is very important but you still need to know your place. Human women are not spouses."