54.) Family meeting

The throne room was important in strongholds.

It represented power, affluence, and had a direct correlation to a families standing. Which is why, despite his families decline in wealth this room was dripping with luxury. The marble floors were always well polished and shined in the light. The walls were lined with gold, and precious gems littered the ceiling like stars. At the end of the room sat a throne on top of steps to make the one that sat on the seat look down on those who stood before it. Even with all this treasure around him Cerastes could not be present in the moment.

The sun poured in from the glass dome skylight causeing Cerastes's skin to itch from the exposure. He felt a shedding comming on.

The light blinded his upturned face. Even if he had the ability to turn his face in a different direction it wouldnt have mattered. The room had large windows and wide open balconies, allowing for ease of take offs and drop ins from the sky.

Usually when Cerastes was summoned to a meeting, he was pleased to be included, he often focused on every word but not today. He stood at attention in his rarely worn best clothes, chin raised high and arms behind his back. Despite the presence of both his brothers and father he could not pay attention to the topics being discussed.

She is fine, he assured himself. The biggest threats to her existence were in the room with him.

His eyes flickered to his father. The high lord Kavern. An imposing figure dressed in white robes with gold jewelry, sitting high up on the stone dias. He was much more muscular than his older brother, which was why he ruled the territory. Pyros had always been more influenced by books than brute strength. Strength, virility, wealth. These were the pillars of what a dragonkin should be.

It was why Kavern and his favored sons had the best rooms, the most servants, and their pick of anything els. Cerastes may have been a son of the high lord but he was barely treated as a member of the family.

Cerastes's name had not even been recorded in the family ledger. Which is why he didnt have a wing of his own, had the most daunting tasks, couldn't use mana from the mountain, and recieved no monetary stipend.

When his uncle had resided in the stronghold there had been more servants, money for wing maintenance was readily available, and the mana current was always charged.

But because Pyros had left, Cerastes was left to make due without his assistance. The servants belonging to Pyros's wing dwindled in number over a century. The decor became worn and furniture fell into such disrepair that it was little better than kindling. Even the lights could not remain charged and functioned at its dimmest setting.

"This is unprecedented, a weapon is capable of harming our kind. A meeting must be called!" Dante urged his father. His tail flicked aggressively. He wore blue robes with silver threads around the collar. Forming a pattern of fish scales. The fish scale pattern reappeared at his shoulders and went all the way down the arm. When he moved the scales rippled and caught the light.

It bothered Cerastes when it caught his eyes. A meeting of the clans was the last thing Cerastes needed. A hoard of dragonkin hovering about.

Not only would hosting errands take up his time, It would be more dangerous for the woman as well. How could she bare a hatchling under stress. When female dragonkin are brooding visitors weren't allowed, their brains devolve to their most basic instincts. The stress of visitors could cause them to shed scales prematurely or even lose an egg.

Of course everything Cerastes knew about this was second hand knowledge from his uncle and his extensive library. The subject dominated the shelves of the study.

"It is a hundred years to early for you to make demands of me and more so for a gathering! What will you present?! What do you know?! Nothing! Revealing this now would ruin our families reputation." Kavern rebuked. His wings splayed out as he rose to his full height making him look larger and more fearsome.

Talons tail tucked around his own leg, but he stayed in the same position as Cerastes standing without flinching. 

"I meant no disrespect, high lord." Dante said standing at attention.

The high lord Kavern returned to his throne. Tucking his wings in behind him and adjusting the plates of his gold necklace so they layed flat.

"If you want this gathering, then bring me answers. How were they made, where, who, and their goal."

Cerastes didnt like the sound of this. If Dante looked foolish, he would undoubtably be blaimed for not putting enough information in the report.

His face and ribs had only just healed but as long as they dont find out about the woman it would be bearable. The pain of a mawling would last a few days, but the satisfaction of being able to sire an offspring was something he could hold over his  brothers for the rest of their lives.

His father wouldnt care if he took in a woman but he also wouldnt prevent his brothers from taking her either. In his fathers prime humans had only been a different kind of meat, the same cattle or sheep.

Food for eating.

But his sons were different. They grew in a time where the dragon-ess population was nearly non existent. Due to the lack of available femalea, the role of humans shifted from animals for food, to animals of labor. Humand were entertainment, shields, servants, and a means of income.

In wealthier territories the noble families of dragonkin were still waited on directly by other lower ranked dragonkin but in the strongholds in decline, humans were used to replace those empty roles. Strongholds like the Green Mountain Dragons.

"I will leave this matter to you Dante, dont disapoint me." The lord Kavern spoke.

"Considered it done." Dante replied.