29.) Camping

I have discovered that I hate riding horses.

If I felt this much pain riding a horse how did the horse feel after carrying me this long. I patted its head gently, and my hand came back sweaty.

The pain in my thighs and back were uncomfortable but I tried to deal with it. It kept my mind off my family a little but mostly I didnt complain because I didn't want to be laughed at again.

The horse lumbered on and I felt an aching with each step. I placed both my hands on my lower back and tried to stretch, the motion made me scrunch my face.

I looked back at the guard that trailed behind they didnt speak to eachother. They rode with stiff expressions but didnt seem to feel the way I did.

I turned my gaze forward to see if Cerastes might be looking for a place to camp but if he was I couldnt tell.

As if he felt my eyes on him he turned and looked back at me with his red ones. I immediately looked up in a different direction in a poor attempt to pretend that I wasnt looking at him.
My cheeks grew warm and I had the urge to bash my head into a wall. Deep breaths.

Through the canopy I could see the sky getting lighter.

Keep it together I told myself.

All of my bonded siblings had to make this same trip, but they hadnt talked about being an awkward mess on the trip home because their bond LOOKED at them. Ughgh!

To be fair they had never brought a dragon kin home. How was I even supposed to act around him. Like a lord, or as a husband. The stress was palatable.

I sighed loudly.

This part of the mountain is thick with tall trees

This part of the mountain is thick with tall trees. Spruce trees.
That old man, he was always more like a doting uncle than a brother.

The thought made me grin. I thought about the last time I had talked to Spruce.

Abyss!

What was the last thing I said to Laurel!

We argued but i could not specifically remember what I said. I argued with Laurel all the time, more than any of my siblings.
She was always trying to be in control acting like she was my mother.

She did help raise me, she did that with all her younger siblings.

I never thought I'd miss her annoying face, but I do.

The last thing I said to her was probably really awful. I looked down at Laurels dress and the sandals that are to small. I thought about how I'd left her house without making the bed or washing the dishes.

Shed never be back to know i left her place a mess but I still felt guilty having left it that way.

My mouth felt dry and it became difficult to swallow. There was a lump forming in my throat. I tried to swallow it down.