51.) an adjustment

It was dark when I woke up but this was a room without windows, it could be morning noon or night and I wouldnt be able to tell the difference.  The one thing i did know was that i had to pee, and I was hungry.

"Husband." I said, gentally tapping my way up his arm to find his shoulder. I didnt want to touch his wounds or any sensative spots. After finding it, I  shook his shoulder.

"Husband, wake up." I repeated.

Cerastes slept as if he were dead but I could hear him breathing so I knew he didnt keel over in the night. I had already become very attached to him and I didnt want to lose anyone els.

I should let him sleep, he deserves a rest.

I pushed off the covers and gently climbed over him. The floor was cold. It only made the urge worse. Moving about in the dark, I kicked my foot around looking for a shirt.

Suddenly the dim light returned. I froze in suprize. 

With the lights assistance, I found a shirt and put it on. It fit like a dress, dropping down to my mid thigh. The shirt had slices cut on the chest which failed to cover all of my left breast.

This.. this is not my shirt... I dont care I need to find a place to relieve myself. I grabbed my cloak off the desk and flung it over my shoulders.

I  went to the door walking across the cold stone floor and opened it. Light shown through the large window above the stairs. I looked back at the sleeping Cerastes and quietly crept out of the room.

There was more doors than I remembered.

The room closest to Cerastes was a storage room for wood and kindling. I closed it loudly by accident, flinching from the sound and scolding myself to be quieter.

The next room had a bed and similiar set up to Cerastes but no drain hole. Ugh this was so frustrating. What if I pee in the house!

I was about to open the next door  when it suddenly slammed shut.

"Why are you creating a ruckus!" Cerastes demanded.

I jumped startled. Clenching my legs together.

"I have to pee, right now!" I implored him.

Cerastes sighed with exasperation. Grabbing my wrist
, he led me across the room and down a hallway. At the end of this hall was two doors. Cerastes opened one and pushed me in.

"Be quick." He said, closing the door.

Yet another inside outhouse. I pulled up the cloak and dress shirt without wasting time. I really hated the idea of relieving myself inside but it was something I would have to get used to. There must be positives of it, when it was to cold or dark, it would be nice not to have to go outside. Taking children to the bathroom would also be less dangerous, I reasoned.

but there was a mental block. Only babies or animals would relieve themselves in the house and I was neither.

Cerastes was waiting outside the door. He wore nothing. I think I was mostly acclimated to his aversion to clothes. He opened the second door and led me into the room by the shoulder. It was the second cave I had seen in my life.

 It was the second cave I had seen in my life

The bathing room felt familiar.
It was the first time I had entered this room but I felt homesick just breathing the air.

Grand stone pillars held up the ceiling, and the floor was covered in water. The lights illuminated the surface, reflecting back the image of the ceiling to the point it was hard to tell where the ceiling ended and the pool began.
"Is this place sacred?" I asked, looking at the room before me in awe.

"It is a place guests use for bathing." Cerastes replied walking into the water.

After a couple steps he disappeared under the water. To swallow him up the water must be deep.
I took off the cloak and torn shirt and dipped my foot in to test the temperature. The water in the sacred cave had often been almost icy depending on the time of the year but this water was pleasant. Warm by comparrison. I walked into the water and sat on the steps.

Cerastes resurfaced wiping his face with the palms and heels of his hands.

"That's amazing!" I said looking at his face. "Its already gone."

There wasnt even a scar left. His chest still had some scratches   but they looked as if they had already been healing for months instead of a single night.

"Just because I'm 'off colored' doesnt mean I cant heal like any other of my kind." He scowled, his tone held a bite.

"What does 'off colored' mean?" I asked. My head tilted to the side.

He stared at me. His expression indiscernible. "It doesnt matter." He replied shaking his head.

It bothered me that he didnt answer my question but if it bothered him I could wait. We had our whole lives to get to know eachother better.

I rinsed my face and dipped my head underwater to the side scratching my scalp with my finger nails.

"How are you going to get clean that way?" He asked.

"Do you have soap?" I replied.

"Yes, that's not the point. Your not bathing in a bucket, there space to move." He gestured to the room.

"Dont you remember? I cant swim well." I said gesturing to the steps. Had he already forgotten the last time we bathed together.

"Then float." He answered, as if it was the obvious solution

"Im not a leaf boat, I'll sink." I argued.

"Its easy I'll teach you." He came and picked me up from my perch. I grabbed onto his arms as tightly as I could manage. I wrapped my legs around his waist to steady myself. I touched his tail by accident and tried to climb up him more to avoid touching it again.

"Sorry I didnt mean to touch it." I apologized.

"It was only an issue because you were trying to seduce me with naked grinding and squeezing while I was trying to heal. Now let go." He ordered.

"Your not gonna let go, right." I affirmed.

"Just do what I say and everything will be fine." He answered. "Now lay back and relax."

He put one clawed hand under the small space of my back. Holding me to the surface of the water as I buoyed up and down.

"Close your eyes and take a big breath and hold it. Spread your arms and legs. Keep them straight. Let the breath out slow and then take another big breath in. Relax your whole body." His voice was slightly muffled when the water covered my ears.

It was like meditating on top of the water.
"This is nice." I said.

I looked up to find Cerastes a distance aways and panicked. My waist dipped to far down and my legs thrashed. I was sinking.
Cerastes pulled me back to the steps as I tried to blow the water out of my ears and nose. My hair looked black and tangled over my shoulders.

"I thought you weren't going to let go!" I said accusingly.

Cerastes smoothed back the hair on his own head.
"You would have been fine if you had stayed relaxed." He reasoned. "You should finish washing up, the sooner we get out the sooner we eat." He picked up what looked like a stone and placed it in my hand.

I stomach growled in response. I nodded.