38.) The clothes make the man

(Rowan PV)

When I woke up Cerastes had returned.

He doesnt snore. I kind of wish he did. I felt the weight of his arm on top of me. The weight and the sound of his breathing was reassuring.

I tried matching my breathing to his but couldnt hold my breath as long and gave up.

Maybe that's why dragons are so blessed, because they can hold the spirit of breath for longer.

We're going somewhere else today. The thought of traveling filled me with dred.

Everything was to new.

The food.
The smells.
The lack of family.
The sleeping place.

And while I was becoming more fond of my new spouse, his whole existence was... unpredictable.

The great breath teaches that the only constant in life is change.

I wonder why mother didnt give her children wind names if she was such a believer. Maybe if I had been named Breeze or Gail change would have been easier for me.

I felt a pang in my chest and wormed my way closer in to Cerastes' side.

"You're getting pretty brave." Cerastes said quietly.

I looked up startled.

"I thought you were sleeping." I mumbled.

He propped himself up on his side, his head held up with his right hand. His left pulled my body in tightly.

"Making a pass at me in my sleep is hardly sporting behavior." He grinned. "If you wanted my favor. You need only ask."

"Your ..what?" I asked.

He grabbed my right hand and tucked it down under the blankets. I jerked my hand back after touching hard bare skin.

"That wasnt your tail, was it?" I asked my face already turning red.

He shook his head with a chuckle.

"I didnt think so."

(Knocking)

Cerastes face darkened. He turned his face to the door behind him.

"What!" He yelled.

A muffled voice trembled behind the door.
"You.. asked for a wake up service.. it's time, my lord."
The voice paused for a moment as if waiting for an answer.

.    .    .

"Should I come back later, milord?"

Cerastes huffed and looked back down at me. "To be continued." He sighed.

"I'm up!" He yelled.

"Put these clothes on." Cerastes said tossing a bundle towards me. That had been on the bedside table.

I looked at the clothes. They were not much different than the dark clothes Cerastes wore. Black with silver threading, a different fabric than that of home. A smoother feel like the blankets on the bed.

"A uniform?" I said raising up the outfit.

"We havent had a proper discussion and I dont have the time to give you one now." Cerastes tapped the ground with his tail anxiously. He leaned against the bed.

"I'm going to need you to pretend to be a male soldier, your existence must be a secret from my family."

I felt worried but couldnt tell if it was my own feelings or his but what I do know is that he said he need this.