24.) A Big Step.

I hobbled as quickly as I could.

The ground was a powder of ashes. I felt pain in my feet with every step but I kept moving. I tried not to look at the burnt bodies on the ground. I stepped around them. There was nothing I could do for them.

Some houses were completely gone. Some dilapidated. A few untouched.

I made it to the area just before the cave when I got a bad feeling. Throught the trees I found not a cave but a pile of rubble.

It collapsed in on itself!

NoNoNoNoNoNo.

I felt a sob grow in my chest. Water no longer drained out of the cave. It was gone.

I started clawing at the rocks. I just have to move all of them. Maybe someone is trapped inside. How could this even happen. The sorrow made my whole body ache and my hands useless and numb.

I couldnt get a handhold. I started screaming at the wall ramming it with my shoulder when my fingers lost strength. My hoarse voice came out as keaning crys.

Begginging every rock to move.

This cave couldnt collapse it was a sacred, blessed.

I felt an arm wrap around my waiste and lift me up high.

"Stop." It commanded. "You will hurt yourself."

The pain in my chest pricked and hurt with every breath. Then I saw movement out of the corner of my eye.

A body.

I jumped out of his grasp and ran. Being pinned underneath a large boulder was a man.  I slid in the mud to get close. He was bruised and bloated to the point he was almost unrecognizable

"Father!" I cried.

The front of his shirt and chin were covered in blood. His teeth were dyed red.

"Hang on, I'm gonna get this off of you. Your gonna be alright." I assured him.

He was having trouble breathing. One of his brown eyes was completely blood shot, and his face was pale. His body shivered uncontrollably.

O'lan shook his head from side to side. I tried to move the boulder by pressing my shoulder at the bottom. Trying to find leverage and slipping. It covered him from his waist to his feet. I couldnt get my hands under it.

I shrieked in frustration but my throught was sore, the gravely sound came out barely louder than a normal speaking voice. I ended up in a coughing fit.

I looked around to find something that could help. A stick or anything that could save him.
I felt my hand being grabbed and looked down to see my fathers' hand in mine. I went still. He angled his face too look at me through his non-bloodshot eye.

He moved his mouth but no words came out, only gasping wheezing sounds.

Hot tears streamed down my face, I didnt know I had any left.

I felt a hand at my shoulder and looked up to find the dragonkin crouched behind me.
"Ca..can you save him?" I whispered.

He didnt respond with words. He lowered his head and his clawed hand squeeze my shoulder. 

I look back to my father who was  looking at the dragonkins hand on my shoulder in awe. Then down to mine. I looked down to see the pattern that had formed there. He squeezed my hand and smiled weakly.

Then he let out a breath and his body relaxed. I was so upset I might throw up.

I took his limp hand and placed it gently on his chest.