21.) The Calm Before

O'lan stood up. He wore a long white shirt and brown pants. His face had been freshly shaved making him look younger and he carried a stone bowl with a ladle.

This bowl was filled with water from the cave. O'lan stopped infront of the first of the newly bonded pairs and knelt down to them. Laurel took up the ladle filled with water and brought it to her husbands mouth and he drank down the contents.

He did this again for Oak who did the same for his wife and again for Ceder.

Before taking the bowl back to his seat he turned to the rest of the family.

"Today we celebrate the growth of our family." He said loudly. "We share our blessings and give thanks for the breath in our lungs. Let us share our stories and be joyful."

O'lan then retold the story of how they had come to be in the valley.

They had lost everything but what they could carry and their freedom.

With no place to go they went to the mountains for refuge. They met an injured dragon kin who trusted them to guard him while he healed. How they were tested and given the chance to live in a valley full of blessings. How his wife that previously could not have children, gave birth to many.

It was a story that was retold every year. Its how we came to be.

Laurel then took her turn telling her search story. How she had gone last and ran nearly an hour before tackling River. Who had been both shocked and pleased to be tackled by such a beautiful woman.

Then how Spruce had to convince Rivers tribe to let him leave. It had been difficult even with their similiar coloring. They ended up buying a wagon for Rivers family as a price for taking him from his family.

The males in nomadic families are usually the ones to care for the aging parents but River had two other brothers. Convincing Rivers family would have been impossible had he been the only son.

Oak who had taken his turn before Laurel, walked into the busiest tavern in the city, where he found Miren looking for work. She had made her way south when her sailing contract had ended. She took alot of convincing, it took several drinks and an arm wrestling competition to win her over.

Ceder had met Della when she had talked them into staying at her families inn. Della had not needed any convincing and had in fact asked Ceder to a meeting before he had even began a search. Dellas bags were already packed an hour after they were bonded.

My sisters laughed and applauded at her spirit.

Hawthorn called out to Ceder to tease him. That Ceder must have some great skills to convince her that quickly, and reminded him that women prefer a looonger time when it comes to convincing.

Ceder turned a bright shade of red and threw a stick at him.

This only got him more laughes.

Spruce who was sitting with his wife and grandchild on his lap, proclaimed that he was never going on another search again and that he was to old to deal with kids. Which also got a laugh.

The food was good.
Couples danced around the fire to the sounds of a flute and drums. The air was warm and the ale from town was sweet. Ash and Fern were already asleep beside me and at some point I nodded off to.