28.) Work to Be Done

(Cerastes PV)

Our group traveled by moonlight.
With the woman being unable to ride a horse properly and the added humans and it would take at least two nights to get back to the city.

It's taking longer to bring the goods back up the mountain. The longer it takes the more I'll have to hear from the others.

But thats the least of my worries.
I'll have to find a way to smuggle her into the mountain without my brothers seeing her.
If I show that I favor her they will definitely take her. Another woman for their harem.

Odd weapons were found with the rebels I'll use them as a distraction.

She said this was Pyros's villiage. For uncle, this place wouldnt be to far from home. An hours flight at most. Pyros hasn't been home for more than a hundred years but this place is relativly close to home. Why wouldnt he at least stop by.

That place was named after a dragon kin.
The name showed ownership. Rebels attacking it seems odd. They might not have known its name, or that it was under protection.

Rebels are crafty and only bold occasionally. To outright massacre an entire tribe that's under a dragons protection.

Suicide.

Dragons are naturally territorial, if the protector found out hed retaliate.

There were to many unanswered questions. Everytime I speak to that woman a question is answered, but it creates a dozen more.
I cant report to my brothers like this. I need to organize my thoughts.

What do I know?

•This villiage is named after Pyros.

•He was here at least a hundred years ago.

•The place produced magic tools not the people.

•Rebels attacked.

•The humans here used the tools.

•The tools are for searching for people and things

•The humans were not of the Castor race.

•The one I found might have the ability to reproduce with dragonkin.

If this female could reproduce it stands to reason that her siblings might have the same ability, she said she had many of them. But they were all killed.

What a waste, Cerastes grimiced.

Uncle was constantly driven to find a way to preserve our race. Was this his answer? Did he plan to use this valley as a future breeding ground to restore our kind.

What part did the stones play in this scenario?And How did the rebels find this place?

I'll put a base here later and send some people to dig up that cave. If even one magic tool is found uncrushed it would be worth the effort.

If uncle had seen potential in this stretch of grass, it must be valuable.

Ill need to talk to the woman in private again later, the smallest details might be a clue.
He checked on the woman who rode behind him, such a valuable find.

She stared at the scenery as if she was trying to memorize it. Did she want to know the way back? If she births a hatchling, bringing her back for a visit might be a suitable reward.

Cerastes grinned broadly, the horse gently rocked him side to side as it carried him.

A hatchling of my own!
The excitement of the possibility filled my chest to the brim. The tip of my tail twitch against my left leg.

But even if she produced one, what coloring would it have?

Would the hatchling be whole with a father who was born wrong and a human as a parent.

He had been treated poorly by his father and brothers for being born without wings, and for his weakness.

It doesnt matter!
A hatchling is a a hatchling!
It will be one more member for the clan. Which is one more than either of his brothers produced.

How great would it feel to overshadow his older brothers for a change.
His oldest brother Dante would one day inherit the title as the head of the green mountain clan but he didnt have a mate or any children despite his position.

There were only five members in their clan and all were males and none currently had a mate.

Larger clans had more to offer. More land, more treasure, stronger males for protection. There were very few females and no females had been born in the Cerastes's life time.

The dragons of the Green Mountain Clan were once exceedingly prosperous when his father was young.
Well over sixty members and a majority were female. The mountains was mined for precious stones and the stones provided income.

How the mighty have fallen.

I have a chance here. I'll have as many offspring as possible and save our clan. My uncle and father will be proud and my brothers will have to respect me.

But dont intend to share her and I wont let her be taken.

Her coloring is darker than most women found in the city. Most of the slaves and the women that are taken back to the mountain are from there. Both of my brothers would want her for her coloring.

But how to hide her? The few servants I have are loyal enough. Once i get her to my rooms she would be safe, but second brother will meet me to check the goods more so because I'm late.

Two nights to get to the city, the next day I'll need to handle those that are to be punished. Four days to get back up the mountain with the cargo. I have less than a week to make a plan.