40.) Trouble in Paradise

"Because I'm human." I said lamely, casting my eyes to the floor.

"No, because you're MINE." Cerastes said with conviction. "But you need not worry. As long as you do what I ask, I can keep you safe from the others. My father and brothers are stronger than I am. If they wanted you all they would have to do is reach out and take you. Especially if they new I favored you and there isnt anything I could do to stop it."
He shook his head emphasizing the words.

"Tell me you understand." He said invaded my personal space. His arms gripped the seat on both sides of me. His face close enough to feel his breath.

I nodded...

"Cerastes...why did you kill those people?" I asked looking up, His face was only inches from mine.

"The criminals?" He asked dully leaning back to sit in his seat

"Punishing them is one of the responsibilities I was given. I wouldnt have had to kill them if they hadnt broke the rules and tried to escape."

"Running away is a cause for death?" I asked confused.

"It is when you owe funds to the territory. If those humans had accepted their fate as indentured servants, they would still be alive."

The carriage bumped along the road. Jostling in a rhythmic way. It wasnt exactly comfortable but it was definitely preferable to being carried in a wrap or riding a horse. I refuse to even imagine running.
Doesnt everyone have parts of their job that they dont like. Dying the fabric white at home, meant peeing in a basin and leaving it outside for days before soaking the the leather or wool in it. Its not a job that was liked but it was work.

I didnt like having to kill one of my herd but there had been times where it had to be done. When we needed extra meat, when the male needed to be changed to prevent birth defects. Most of the males would be sold off before they matured but it was still felt sad when they had to go. I did my job and Cerastes did his, how can I dislike him for being the same as me.

Seeing the people die on the platform stirred up bad memories that I'd rather not think about.

"I dont like seeing death." I solemnly.

"Once your in the mountain you wont have to see any executions again." He assured.

I traced the scaled white tattoo that poked out from under the dark sleeves with a finger. Cerastes might be a bit rough but father always said that the first year bonded is the hardest.

"Thank you, husband." I smiled meekly. "It means alot."

"You're calling me husband again?" He asked.

"We're alone." I said gesturing to the empty carriage.

"Remember to use discretion while we're outside." He warned.
"I'm going to rest, wake me if you need anything."

He crossed his arms and put his bare white clawed feet back on my seat before closing his eyes.

I watched him for a moment then remembered my blanket and unfolded it in my lap. I slid the blanket carefully over Cerastes long legs and left the rest in his lap. The blanket itself wasnt long enough to cover all of him but maybe it would make his nap a little more comfortable.
......

D'zarren was lucky to be alive. He thought his deal with the lord had been forgotten after being kept in the jail after several days.

He wasnt sure if the dragonkin would even try to use it, or if he would give it to the high lord back at the mountain. But when all the other prisoners had been taken to the execution, D'zarren had been set free.

His clothes were dirty and his body was stiff from sleeping on the cold floor.

What D'zarren wanted more than anything at this moment was to go to the nearest tavern for a drink and a hot meal. He was headed to the closest tavern when he was ambushed and knocked unconscious. Two men in black cloaks pulled the motionless D'zarren into an alley.

"Did you have any trouble getting here?" D'jin asked his brother.

The small room was definitely underground. It was illuminated by candle light.

"Damb it D'jin! Why did you wallop me in the head?!" D'zarren yelled angrily.

He then noticed the five other members on his left. They were sitting at a table all bunched together.

"I wish I was the one who got to wallop that stupid head of yours! We had to make sure you came to this emergency meeting,  WITHOUT being followed!" D'jin yelled back with righteous fury. "You put every one at risk and what did you gain from it!"

D'zarren felt his face burn hot from being scolded by his younger brother.

"Did you give them any information on us?" D'jin asked forcing his voice to be more relaxed.

"No of course not!" D'zarren assured. "They didnt even know I was a member but..they did find the tunnel under my desk."

His tone was a bit dejected.

"They will know to look for it now." The shortest piped up.

"I believe you." D'jin said.

"That's what I need to find out! Why did you send soldiers to that  Villiage so quickly?" D'zarren fired back.

"How could we not! The old one was assembling an army of magic tool users!" The hooded bear of a man argued.

D'zarren couldnt deny there was a risk in leaving them be, but there quick actions had more than likely ruined his plans.

"Has a lass come back down the mountian?" D'zarren eagerly asked the group.

"The white snake came down and was later followed by his soldiers. Barbero saw that they had more horses than what they went up with, she recognized a few as ours." The blue eyed man relayed to D'zarren.

"Then none of them made it back." D'zarren felt a bit guilty for sending the lass up the mountain to find and steal more magic tools. If she had come back with the tools he had promised to clear her family's debt to him. If the snake was involved, she along with the soldiers were probably dead.

He would have to be the one to tell her aunt.

"Now that we've cleared up the old business, let's get on with the rest of it." The large man urged, his beard was full and red.

The man with short curly hair raised his hand to talk.

" I have some disturbing news." He said standing up. "My brother sent a letter."

They had long since established spies in the city hall but it was unusual to get news after the executions had taken place.

"The snake has taken a human wife." He told the group.

The group was silent.

"It must be a mistake. Another woman for the harem is most likely." The shortest one nodded looking around the table for confirmation.

"It said in the letter that they shared a bed, meals, a bath, and she ate with him at his table while calling him 'husband'. He then dressed her in a soldier uniform before a soldier took her away to his carriage."

No one had any idea what to say to this. It was unprecedented. Sure they had known that some of the enslaved women were sent to the harem since the women usually came back after their debt was paid but a wife? Sex with a human is one thing but a dragonkin taking a human bride was unheard of.

What made this human different. Was she an exploitable weakness
or an unknown danger?

"Were going to need more Information." D'jin thought out loud.