20.) A Joyous Occasion

(Rowan PV)

I sat in my mothers house and nibbled on some flat bread that I had stolen from the kitchen outside.

Senai, Spruces wife, had told everyone that the traveling party would be back that evening so the whole family was scurrying about here and there to get things ready.

I had already brought the goats back for the day, washed up, and dressed in my best outfit for the occasion.

Since I had already given my gift I didnt have to fret with my sisters about if the gift they'd prepared would be suitable or if the new spouse would like it.

My sister already hated my gift.
Ceder and Oak would be pleased with anything.

There was nothing to worry about. So I snacked.

If my mother caught me eating ahead of time I'd definitely get swatted with a slipper. She might be little but she hit crazy hard.

Thus the reason for the SECRET snacking.

The Villiage grown in a way that all the oldest houses were near the end of the valley. Near the sacred cave.
The oldest members lived in the back closest to the cave and when someone wanted to get married they had to build a house. Causing the Villiage to expand westward.

Some houses were right next to eachother and some were so far apart you couldnt hear the people talking in the house.

All of them were made of wood, with a thatched roof.

The largest building in the Villiage was the big daughters house, where I currently lived. It was used for most activities.

Right now the house was full of women dressing their best. Braiding eachothers hair into intricate braids. Adding painted feathers and colorful ribbons to their hair for decoration.

Wearing colorful skirts and leather tops that showed of their marital tattoos.  The newest tattoos were always lightly colored but some would change color or darken with age. The patterns were always different.

Some had rows of arrow heads. The tracks of animals, branches, and rivers. The patterns were exclusive to individual marital pairs.

And because all that fuss was going on in my house I was currently hiding out in my mothers where I knew no one would be.

After I finished my snack I layed out on the cushions in the floor and thought about taking a nap.

"Rowan!" I sprung up with what would no doubt be a guilty expression.

I had been discovered.

Seeing who had called my name i relaxed.
"Fern, what are you doing?" I said making sure there wasnt any crumbs on my dress.

"Maple said for me to tell you that you have to get more wood." Fern said proudly.

"Whaat? no! that's Pine and Birtches job.
besides I'm already dressed." I said laying back down.

"Maple said that shes going to tell NaiNai that you were in her house sneaking snacks if you dont help." Fern replied.

A low groan escaped my mouth.
"Fine, fine I'm up." it's not like I need to impress anyone anyway.

Why was I born so low in the order.

Out of the girls only Tilla and Juniper were younger than me and both of them were already married so it's not like I could push this job off on them. Being bonded affords certain privileges that you dont get when your single.

Off I went up into the wooded area to pick up wood for the bonfire. Most of the fallen wood had already been picked clean.

I had to hike up the side of the valley to collects branches.
The party will go on all night, so I at least wanted to take a nap BUT NOW I have to get fire wood.

The sun was already getting low and the little valley was covered in a rosy light as the sky changed colors.

I looked down over the edge of the valley and saw two little carts crawling up the hill.

By the time I made it down to the Villiage, carrying a bushel of branches the little caravan had already made it back and began unloading their cargo. Barrels of ale, cook ware, salt, and jewelry.

Everyone had crowded around the new arrivals and I couldnt get a peak. I put the branches next to the rest of the wood that had already been collected.

Blankets had been layed out all over the ground. The bonfire had already been lit. Kids were running around, half of them dressed well and the others not dressed at all.

Their mothers would have a rough time finding their children's outfits.

The smell of mint tea, cooked sweet potatoe, and flat bread filled the air. Hawthorn had butchered two of his cows as gifts for the occasion and the smell of meat was strong.

I took a seat on a blanket far enough from the fire that I couldnt feel the heat directly on my skin.

I could see my parents and where the new couples would sit. My eyes watered when the wind blew the smoke in my direction.

After everyone had taken their seats I was finally able to get a view of my new inlaws.

Laurels new tattoos were very clear and bright, they looked like stars linked together with lines. They covered nearly all of her neck and both arms . It must be a very strong match. The man sitting next looked as if he could have been one of my siblings.

A nomad like my mother had been. They looked close in height. His long hair was kept in two braids off his shoulders. He wore a poncho and cloth pants and sandles.

Oaks mate was a very strong looking woman with short brown hair and green eyes. Their tattoos looked like ropes that looped around their arms in knots and swirls. I think she could lift me with one arm if she wanted to.

Of course all the people in our Villiage have exceptional strength but it was pleasing to see it in a townie. I wonder how much stronger she will be after a few years in the valley.

I think I'm gonna like her best I cant wait to meet her.

And then there was Ceder with his new wife. She was so petite, blond, and clingy. Cute was the word that came to mind.

She clung to his side, almost sitting In his lap. Each had an arm with swirling vines and thorns. Seems like they have a close relationship.

I felt the blanket move and turned to see Ash and Fern behind me. Ash had recut her bangs and trimmed her black hair to her shoulders. Ferns hair was in a braid that puffed up like a mohawk ontop of her head.

I bet her hair was her reward from Maple. She flashed a grin and I sent one back before turning my head to the front again.

It was story time.