13.) The Sweetest Honey

The group made it's way back to the residential area where nearly all the inns stood on the same street. Spruce had gone down the row and all four of the inns that had stables were at full occupancy.

He really didnt want to make camp out on the citys edge. The wagon merchants were not the friendliest sort after hours.

"Are you looking for a inn where you can store your animals and wagons?" The blond woman asked sweetly. Bending her torso low to look up at Spruces down turned face. She had suprized him.

"Ahhh Yes, but they're all full." Spruce replied confused and suspicious. While wagon merchants will accept any sale for coin the towns people are less friendly to those who look nomadic.

"My family's inn Is still accepting guests and theres plenty of stable space." The woman replied. "If you want to follow me it's not far."

Spruce realizing that she was out to garner business made him relax a bit.

Had she been kind for no reason, spruce would have been more suspicious that she might lead them into a mugging. It made since to him that an employee might be sent out to pull in customers, especially if the inn wasnt located near the others.

"Lead the way." Spruce said.

The inn was not on the same street or even the same block as the other inns, and that maybe the reason it still had vacancies. All the same it was a place to sleep and Spruce felt fortunate that his younger siblings and the wagons were better protected.

Like the buildings near it, the inn was two stories. The wood was painted red and the sign said "The Gopher". It was an odd name to say the least but there were no buildings touching it, and in the space a building should have been was a large stable area. Spruce thought if the place was nice it wouldnt be bad to use it again.

Entering the building there was many tables and chairs. At the back of the room was a bar.

Spruces opinion of the place instantly lost ground. If their father heard that hed taken his siblings to a tavern for the night his fathers appearance might actually age from stress.

No drinking was on the list of rules.

The young woman led them to the back of the tavern.
"We have guests aunty." She said.

The woman called aunty, who had watched them come in was already grabbing her set of keys. She was an older blond woman who had a large pink scar covering the right half of her face or maybe a birthmark it was hard to tell.
"One room or two?" The woman said without smiling.

"Just the one, and space and feed for the goats." Spruce said.

The woman behind the counter nodded "Thats fine you can send one of your boys out to tie them, Della will show you where."
The owner said, jestering to the woman that had brought them in. "How many nights will you be staying?" The woman asked.

"Just the one." Spruce replied. While Spruce continued his talk with the proprietor, his three siblings looked around at their surroundings. Della hooked her arm into the crook of Ceders.

"I'll show you where you can put your animals and wagons." She grinned.

Suprized by the sudden contact, he just nodded and mumbled something indiscernible.

"Dont dawdle this time." Laurel ordered. The table piled with their packs, Laurel sat with Oak. Oak who was not much of a talker just nodded his head in agreement.

Ceder shot them a glare as he was lead out the door. The wagons and goats had been left just outside nearly blocking the front door.

"I'm Della by the way." She said.

"...Ceder." He replied.

"Iv never seen animals that looked like yours! they are too small to be yaks, but to large to be a sheep." Della said in amazement. "Iv only seen cows and horses pull wagons. Are their coats always this short?" She chattered.

Della patted the goats long horns

"Ah, yeah well." Ceder began, in this moment he came to realize that he had never held a real conversation with a woman that wasnt either related to him or an inlaw.

"Goats..fluff," Ceder began to choke out. "They are."

Oh he was an idiot, he thought. Della had delicate features and long eyelashes and honey blond hair. Her long sleeved shirt was bunched at her elbows, and the wore an apron over her skirt. Looking at her all the words he had intended to say had gotten stuck or jumbled.

"Are you going to bring them to the stable area?" She said tilting her head.

They had just been standing infront of the door without moving. He nearly triped over himself, he moved forward grabbing one of the reigns and pulling it to lead the goats. He managed to get the first wagon into the storage area and the goats who had pulled it into the stables.

Della watched him as he closed the two goats into the pen.

"You know, your pretty cute. Hey why not have a drink with me tonight!" She said mischievously.

Ceder looked back at her startled and blushed. She was leaning against the wagon,
"I'll wait for you downstairs at the 10th bell, ok." She said before quickly heading back into the inn, her skirt ruffling around her ankles all the way.

Ceder was still in a state of shock, he had a meeting with a girl at the 10th bell.

He had a meeting with a very pretty girl at the 10th bell.

A very pretty girl, who thinks I'm cute wants to meet at the 10th bell.

He thought this over and over but no matter how many time he thought the sentence, it still didnt make since. He had stumbled over words, nearly tripped, and probably smelled like sweat and fluff goats but she still wanted to meet him.

"I better wash up." Ceder said.