52.) The first meal

"Husband? How long did it take you to build this home?" I asked over our first meal together in our new home. We both wore towels to the meal, the same blanket version from town. I sat on my knees to give myself a little more height. That way I could eat at the table without constantly reaching upward.

"I didnt build it, this is my uncle's home." He replied between bites.
Cerastes' hair was dry while mine still dripped.

Breakfast or maybe it was lunch, was venison with soup and bread. The odd kind that puffed up rather than the flatter flaky kind from home. The meal had been waiting on the table without an attendant.
He had been so wary of me being seen by his father or his brothers but he lived with his uncle? It was odd that Cerastes was already a adult but still lived in the same house with a family member?

"Is it normal to live with your uncle?" I asked. 

"Its normal for me." He replied curtly.

I do remember that Ann's family had more than one generation that lived together in one home. I had never seen a person 'grow old' but I heard that it was dreadful.
Maybe his uncle needed care?
Do dragons get old?

"We dont need to worry about me being seen by him?" I asked to make sure. We were staying in his home.

"He has been traveling for sometime, and even if he returned it wouldnt be an issue." He answered with a mouth full of meat.

I nodded. At least not all of Cerastes family was bad. I chewed with my mouth closed and looked around the dinning room. This room was more decorated than Cerastes. Wall blankets with shining embroidery, showing dragons fighting eachother. A table for seven made from several different colors of stone that moved together like a river. The same worn rug as the rest of the rooms. A dull light above.

There were three chairs on each side of the table and one at the end. It was more detailed in its carvings and taller than the other chairs.

In some houses in the Villiage there was tables and chairs but it was usually because a bond had asked for it because they liked the comforts of town. Hawthorn had one In his house but it was made from wood and much smaller than this.

"Is it customary for the oldest to sit at the end of the table here?"

"The owner of the dwelling sits at the head of the table."

I nodded.

"Will we always live with your uncle?" I asked.

"We will." He replied. Drinking from the rim of the soup bowl.

"Even if we have children?" I continued.

Cerastes coughed. He may have choked on the contents of the soup.

"Do you not want children?" I said shaking my head for emphasises. Banyan never wanted children and neither did Maple and her wife. Children needed alot of care.

Cerastes cleared his throat with a rumble.
"I would like a hatchling very much." He said calmly but his eyes didnt match his tone. His eyes held a fierce expression.    Hatchling. It was such an odd word but it was a different culture.

"How many 'hatchlings' do you want?" I said taking a drink from the oversized cup infront of me.

"As many as you can give." He said with a devious smile.

"So you want a big family." I affirmed. I had never really thought about having children seriously. It was always a far off event. I thought of my big family. The crowded environment that I was consistently avoiding, now that it was gone I missed it. This place seemed cold, empty, and almost unbearably quiet.

And my new bond, I could already see that Cerastes lacked a family. At least in the ways that mattered. It made since that he would crave to create a big one. People to love and care about you. Big families could be loud and difficult but I had always people who cared about me. We may have argued but I had never  harmed like Cerastes had been last night.

"Some one that would give you a big loving family, is that what you asked for during your search?"

"A big family is ideal, but even one hatchling would be... I'd be very pleased." He agreed.

I wanted him to have what I had, I wanted us to have that. We barely knew eachother but after going through many difficult events I felt like our bond was going to have a solid foundation.

Cerastes who was there for me when I lost my home.
Cerastes who was by my side when I lost my father.
Who carried me a great distance so I wouldnt have to ride again. Who protected me from a great boar and his family. Without him I dont know where I'd be, but It was most likely dead.

I'll definitely make him happy I thought with determination.

"Let's build a big family together!" I said loudly.

He grinned.
"Such enthusiasm."
He put down the bowl and came around the table, picking me up.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"You did say you wanted to build a big family together, I couldnt possibly refuse such a passionate declaration."

"Dont you need to heal a bit more?" I looked at the wound that still marked his chest. The smell of the soap we used smelled like ash and something unfamiliar mixed in.

The light atmosphere instantly became heavy.

"That better not be pity, I'm hearing." He said with such a stern glare that it made my shoulders tense up.

"Think of it as a wifely concern." I said delicately.

"In the future remember to keep those concerns to yourself. " he replied dryly. He continued carrying me.

The only thing I could think of was that he phrased it in such a way as to mean he would be hurt like this again. Was this a normal occurence?  How many scars would litter his body if he didnt heal the way he did? I didnt want to think about it.

We returned to Cerastes room. Our room now I suppose. The dim light came to life. Illuminating a room that had been tidied. The clothes that had been left on the ground the night before was no where to be seen.
Cerastes wore a towel around his waist but tossed it aside.

"Whatever your thinking about put it aside, there is a much more pressing matter you need to attend to." Cerastes said depositing me on the bed.