15.) The One

Seeing that his siblings were all fast asleep, Ceder put on the spare clothes he had intended to wear tomorrow. Ceder tucked the broken crystal in his pocket for safe keeping.

He smelled himself, and smelled the scent of mint from the soap.

He silently crept over Spruces sleeping body, holding his shoes in his hand. His loose brown hair swaying about his neck with every step. Half expecting Spruce to wake up and give him a beating.

If Spruce caught him, his excuse for sneaking out would once again be, to use the bathroom. But Ceder reached the door without problems and opened it quietly. hoping they would still be sleeping when he returned, he gently closed the door.

Ceder stopped to put on his leather boots before descending the stairs.

He had expected for at least a few customers to be down stairs, it was an inn with a tavern after all. But there was only Della. She sat at a table near the bar, on it was two mugs and a pitcher of ale.

Her dress was yellow with short sleeves and a low neckline. With a brown vest that lifted her breasts,

DONT LOOK! he told himself.
Act natural.

He came to the table and sat down.

"You made it!" Della smiled happily.

"I wouldnt miss our meeting." He said confidently.
He had already had a dozen or so conversations with her in his head all evening.

"Good, I was worried you might get lost on the way." She giggled, pouring Ceder a drink.

"Me. get lost? never." Ceder smiled, he took the mug and took a drink. The most alcohol hed had was during celebrations at home.
"I have an excellent scense of direction." He assured her.

"Wow! that really must come in handy when you travel around, is it always just the four of you?" She asked, pouring her own drink.

"Abyss no! I dont think I could handle having to live with my sister for more than a week at a time." He said, then taking another drink as if to wash down the thought.

"She definitely seemed like the bossy type." Della nodded in agreement. "Are all your siblings like that?"

"Most of them are alright, shes probably the worst one out of the bunch." Ceder explained. He studied the cup and looked over its rim at her breasts.

"Most of them?" Della asked refilling his cup.

"Theres some back home." Ceder shrugged.

He relaxed, Della was surprisingly easy to talk to.

"I thought you four were nomads, are you not?" Della asked with a tilted head. Fiddling with her hair.

"Oh no,
I get why you might think that but we actually live on the mountain year round." He answered.

Della scoffed and frowned.

"You dont have to tell me if you dont want too." Della said crossing her arms. "But I wont stay here if your just going to lie to me."

Her outburst suprized Ceder. He didnt want her to be upset with him and it bothered him to think she would leave.

"I'm not lying, we live on the mountain all year round." He assured.

"Everyone knows the mountain floods, no one could live there all year." She shook her head from side to side, while she filled Ceders mug over again and then her own.

"The abyss steal my breath if I'm lying, our valley never floods." He said covering his mouth with his hand.

She looked in his eyes for a full minute.