85.) Arany

"I'll wait for you to come back then." I said looking up at the light.

"It's probably a check to see how Vihar handled the blessing. I'll take him with me." He said standing up. He grabbed Vihar off the table and carried him in one hand. The maids trailed behind him as he went.

"Have fun, I love you both!" I called after them. I had wanted to say a dozen things: leave Vee with me, you were up all night, or I could carry him for you and we can go together. And something like, I'm sure the scratches havent closed yet let me help you!

Any and all of those comments would have started a fight.

My wonderful husband is willing to put up with alot of things. Crazy hungry pregnant wife, terrible brothers, and a mostly feral baby but question his capabilities? Not an option. Even out of worry, it doesnt matter, he snaps like a dry twig.
Everyone has their sore spots. The better I know the spots not to touch the better we can get along. I nodded my head agreeing with myself.

I took a deep breathe, held it, and let go.

What to do, what to do.... I patted my chin with the tips of my fingers. I saw motion out of the corner of my eye.

"Mister caretaker?" I said seeing the short figure that was plump in the middle. "Is that you?"

"Ahh.. yes miss." The caretaker replied. His thin grey haired head bobbed up and down.

"I havent seen you in awhile I thought you might have stayed in Lord Pyros's house." I said standing up from my human sized sitting area.

"No miss, this caretaker was bought by the third lord." He said straightening the wall blanket he had just appeared from. "Caretaker heard the steps leave, came to clear the table."

"Why are you always in the tunnels back there?" I asked.

"Slaves use slave tunnels. Not to travel about in main rooms." He shook his head.

"The maids walk in the halls." I began.

"Servants and slaves different." He said sternly. He said climbing up on a chair.

"I'm sorry. I didnt know." I apologised.

"Dragons feet crush all differently. Caretaker is not mad that the miss is crushed different than Caretaker."

This man looked so old and fragile. His mind already seemed to be going. He was perpetually hunched over when he walked, when he climbed up on a seat, and when he was reaching out to clear the table. His pot belly bumping the table as he went. Seeing someone old unsettled me. Maybe it was the winkles? Seeing what time did to people outside the Villiage. What it would probably do to me, now that I no longer lived there. My parents lived up to a hundred years and still looked thirty maybe forty, how many years would they have been given if they... if that hadnt happened.

How many years did this man have left to live and he had to hunch around in the dark. What did he do to deserve that sort of life?

"I'll ask Cerastes to release you when he returns." I promised him.

"This Caretaker is where he needs to be, miss." He rejected.

"Dont you want your freedom?" I said confused.

"Freedom?" His laugh became a cough. "Caretaker work for dragon here. If caretaker free he still work for dragon, only somewhere else."

"I just thought maybe you would want a way out maybe you have a family to go back to in that somewhere else." I shrugged my shoulders.

He let out a heavy breath, his arms were loaded up with the dishes from the table and he began to come down from the chair. "This Caretaker already has a way out but now it's much to late to take Caretakers child away. But the miss is aufull kind."  He looked around suspiciously and I looked with him but my sharp hearing detected nothing. He leaned in close to my right ear and whispered.